1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

A SNEAK PEEK AT MELVIN AND HOWARD, STAGECOACH, etc.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by haineshisway, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 57 Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2019
    haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    [​IMG]

Haven’t done one of these since March, so I’ll keep it brief – I’m finally catching up on Twilght Time stuff since Nick’s passing.

THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN

Early Cinemascope (or Cinnamonscope as my daughter used to call it), corny soap opera, but very appealing performances, a great title song, and it all moves along quite well, not to mention some gorgeous scenery. I’m actually not going to say anything about the transfer’s color – I’m going to wait until others chime in before having that fun. I will say it’s reasonably sharp for early scope and it’s blemish-free. :)

STAGECOACH

I always want to like this more than I do. I was disappointed in it when it came out and I haven’t really changed my opinion watching it again. You can’t beat John Ford is the simple answer. The best of the film is Van Heflin, who, in my book, is always superb. Slim Pickens is always fun, Ann-Margret looks stunning and is very good, Stefanie Powers doesn’t have much to do but look sensitive and mournful, Red Buttons thinks he’s doing vaudeville, Bing Crosby was probably thinking there’d be an Oscar nomination for playing a good-natured drunk, Michael Connors still had a bit too much “Touch” in him, Keenan Wynn is always amusing, Bob Cummings does many comedy “takes”, and Alex Cord is not John Wayne. Gordon Douglas is always a competent director and there’s some decent action. If I recall the DVD of this, it was very brown and muddy – this is an attractive transfer with good clarity and better color.

MELVIN AND HOWARD

Believe it or not, I never got around to seeing this film. I’m a Demme fan but find him an erratic director, the best of him being the atypical Silence of the Lambs. I know this is a critics’ darling, this film. But seeing it for the first time, I wasn’t bowled over by it, frankly. Once it became obvious that Jason Robards, Jr. wasn’t coming back after the first scene and that it wasn’t really Melvin and Howard but Melvin and everybody else, I just wasn’t that interested, despite some good scenes and some terrific performances, including a great one by Paul LeMat. But in one scene (and a short reprise at the end), Robards is so good that once he’s gone the film never quite attains the magic of those first ten minutes or so. The transfer seems to me to be kind of typical not new transfer from Universal – it’s fine, color’s nice and all but I’m sure it could look better. Still for fans of the film, I’m sure it will do the trick.

THE SNAKE PIT

I saw this movie on TV when I was very young, maybe seven or eight and it seriously freaked me out, as did another Fox movie, Dante’s Inferno. I thought poor Olivia would never get out of the looney bin and it also seemed like the movie ran about six hours thanks to her ordeal. It’s rather antiquated now, of course, but Ms. de Havilland is really good in it, as is Leo Genn as her doctor. Transfer seems fine to me – not a lot of grain and a lot of opticals in this movie.

Overall, an enjoyable batch o’ movies.

PMF, Peter Keller, Rob_Ray and 9 others like this.
  2. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Snake Pit leans teal. It has always leaned that way, even when I saw a 35mm print. Teal, all the way. Which means, of course, that the transfer is correct. Leo Tover knew what he was doing with his lights and filters. Teal.

PMF, Thomas T, lark144 and 1 other person like this.
  3. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    :)

4. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    It's not April Fool's, but I'll bet you got a few people with this post.

ahollis likes this.
  5. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Gee, I don't know about that teal push, for the last time I saw THE SNAKE PIT, the skin tones were pink!

Yep, that Leo Tover was certainly ahead of his time, able to simulate late 50's Eastmancolor fade on a black and white film.

William Ferry likes this.
  6. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I stand to be corrected but I believe that Twilight Time is so sick of all the teal/blue complainers that out of pure spite they are only releasing the B&W version which was shot simultaneously.

PMF, lark144, bujaki and 2 others like this.
  7. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I have never seen any indication that TSP was filmed in color. I've always only seen it in B&W, and IMDB (while not always reliable) indicated B&W, as do all video guides. I'm scratching my head here. I thought the teal thing brought up in post #2 was a joke, but as posts mount here, I begin to think a few people are very serious about this. Any links to sources? Might you be referring to a colorized version?

8. Pictureman

Pictureman Auditioning

Frank
    The reason colored filters were used was because almost all of Olivia de Havilland's clothes were black and white. The most recent colored dresses she had were from "Gone With the Wind" and they were thought too old-fashioned. Fox developed their famous blue look to overcome the resulting pink faces. Not many people know that!

9. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

10. Pictureman

Pictureman Auditioning

Frank
    I know he was talking about a different picture, but hainshisway did say he was waiting for some fun...

11. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    AD32CA8E-C552-4911-B6C1-9805273B2620.
    I don’t think the teal is that noticeable, do you? :D

lark144, bujaki and Thomas T like this.
  12. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    We've got comedy going on! :)

13. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    I was very disappointed with the color palette of THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN....very muted. My iTunes HD copy of this has more color.

14. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Can you be clearer in what you're saying? I said nothing about this because I want others to chime in first. So, please explain what exactly you mean and what colors are involved. I can't find my DVD, but I'm sure this new Blu is better than THAT. Don't know what their showing on iTunes.

15. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    The colors do not seem as vibrant as I had hoped and at times....the Cinemascope "mumps" seemed more pronounced and some blurriness occurred.. ( to be more precise , looking the same as iTunes, Vudu and Amazon)
    At one point it had been indicated it was a new 4K restoration, I believe the transfer is not new.

16. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    I once worked at a mental health center where an employee picked out THE SNAKE PIT as the movie for the day program clients to watch one day. The employee didn’t know how traumatic it would end up being for the clients to watch. Whoops!

PMF and Peter Keller like this.
  17. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    But I do think it's a new transfer.

18. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I should have my DVD. I don't have the TT disc. Sorry, I always wait for a sale.

19. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    I realize part of my reaction is because I had recently watched the French blu ray of TENDER IS THE NIGHT. That transfer is astonishing .

20. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Ken, would you say the Tender is the Night transfer is on a par with past Fox transfers, you know, the ones that are always too blue - excluding The King and I, just for the sake of not having that one muddy the waters.