What's new

A RAISIN IN THE SUN — Ah, Phooey! (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
The definitive Porgy and Bess cast recording is still the 1985 Broadway Cast (Houston Grand Opera) with Clamma Dale.and Donnie Ray Albert.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Although it would be great if Criterion could release Porgy & Bess as well, I see no reason to be anything other than delighted about the fact that they are releasing A Raisin in the Sun. It is an wonderful and important film which certainly deserves its spot in the prestigious collection and the excellent treatment it will get from them.

Furthermore, this release has no baring whatsoever on whether or not they will be able to release Porgy in the future.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe MGM's new CEO will do less to prevent an eventual Porgy & Bess release from happening, but until then it should be interesting to see exactly how this film's disc will look and sound. Sony's technical standards are high and they have rarely disappointed.

The irony is that Columbia actually distributed the former to theaters originally, but they have no claims on it now. Raisin is theirs outright.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I saw that production when it came here to LA and played the Ahmanson - it was fantastic because - wait for it - they trusted the material.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Maybe MGM's new CEO will do less to prevent an eventual Porgy & Bess release from happening, but until then it should be interesting to see exactly how this film's disc will look and sound. Sony's technical standards are high and they have rarely disappointed.

The irony is that Columbia actually distributed the former to theaters originally, but they have no claims on it now. Raisin is theirs outright.

As far as I know, Gary Barber wasn’t involved in the suppression of Porgy and Bess, in fact whether or not they even have the rights is entirely questionable (The Alamo’s suppression on the other hand has Barber’s fingerprints all over it).

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
A RAISIN IN THE SUN -- great. PORGY AND BESS -- greater! It may never happen. For some reason the people who own the rights to this have vowed never to release it. You can see an edited, smeary TV version on YouTube. I love it. It has a strange, haunting quality to it.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Dear Warnerbro - did you just not read any of the posts in this thread, which explains all the problems - can't keep trotting out that some of the rights' holders have vowed - because it's not true and I made a lengthy post about it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, at least we have that wonderfully evocative song, which practically emits actual heat, and has produced hundreds of quite unique interpretations. I could listen to these end to end for twelve hours and not get tired of hearing "Summertime."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks