What's new

A PEEK AT THE CHAIRMAN, TEN NORTH FREDERICK AND BEHOLD A PALE HORSE (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I just saw Mr. Harris beat me to Behold a Pale Horse so I'll just say a tiny bit. Yes, it's Zinneman, there are some really good scenes, some terrific acting, but it just doesn't work at all. It's weirdly structured and I'm not sure how true it is to Emeric Pressburger's novel. But in the end it's just not a satisfying movie. The majority of the transfer looks fine, but as Mr. Harris points out, it's a bit dark and there are some anomalies here and there (not talking about the stock footage).

I watched the first half of The Chairman, which also stars Gregory Peck. What a wacky little film this is - pure 1969 every inch of the way. I enjoy this kind of thing, even while acknowledging it's ridiculousness - there's a terrific Goldsmith score, Peck is great, Arthur Hill is his usual excellent self, but here's the good news: This is a seriously great transfer - with absolutely perfect color - I couldn't believe it, really.

Then I watched a bit of Ten North Frederick, which I've somehow missed all these years. Black-and-white scope and after the main titles and dissolves are done, it looks quite nice so far. And always lovely to see Geraldine Fitzgerald in a movie - I had the pleasure of acting with her and she was such a terrific and joyous woman. So, an interesting batch this is, and better than the last batch.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
as Mr. Harris points out, it's a bit dark

Wow, you just reopened a file hidden in the back of my cranial hard drive.

My folks took me to a double feature at the Sunset Drive-In in Bailey's Crossroads, VA in 1965. We went mainly to see the first-run CAT BALLOU but the second feature was BEHOLD A PALE HORSE. All I remember about the latter was that, being a darkly filmed black-and-white movie shown in a drive-in surrounded by brightly-lit development, I couldn't make out a thing on screen.

I did enjoy CAT BALLOU.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I received all three yesterday. I can’t wait to dive into them. Thanks for your thoughts on the titles. You are always spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks