1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A PEEK AT FLOWER DRUM SONG

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by haineshisway, Jul 19, 2019.

1. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Don't get too excited. Someone pointed me to Vudu where you can watch Flower Drum Song in what I believe is a brand new high definition transfer. Interestingly, the Universal logo is gone and replaced with a Samuel Goldwyn logo - perhaps they have streaming rights? I'd just watched a bit of the Universal DVD a few weeks ago - well, this is quite the step up from that, let me tell you. Incredible clarity, gorgeous color, and the sound blew me away. I didn't watch it all, but I did see about an hour and skipped around after that. Check it out - you can watch it for free (with ads) or purchase for 6.99. Can someone tell me how the purchase thing works? Do you download it? Anyway, what a pleasant surprise and I'd love to hear other thoughts.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Flower-Drum-Song/5882

lionel59, ahollis, SwatDB and 8 others like this.
  2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    You can download it to a tablet, but mostly the things you buy or rent sit in the cloud and you access them from your "My Vudu" main screen. Then you select it just as you select the "Free with Ads" selections on the screen if accessing from your TV.

3. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Purchasing something via streaming is not the same as purchasing physical media. The upside is you get to view a product that may later be updated with a better version (4K, HDR, restored print) at no additional cost, you don't have to take any additional space in your home, and you can watch it on multiple devices in multiple places.

The downside is they control the content. If they decide to censor it, delete it, or upgrade to an inferior product, you have no say. If they go out of business (think Ultraviolet), you don't have anything. You purchased the right to stream, not the product itself. If the streaming becomes unavailable, that's the way it is.

nara likes this.
  4. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    100 000 000 miracles. This movie and the Pat Boone “State Fair” are the only R&H movies not available on Blu ray. I wish the companies involved would put them out instead of celebrating the 30th and 1/2 Birthday of “The Sound Of Mucilage” with another configuration — including a free nuns habit!

5. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Twilight Time released the Pat Boone “State Fair” on Blu-Ray and it’s still available.

Mark-W, B-ROLL and Jimbo64 like this.
  6. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    For “State Fair” I am going to have to stick to the DVD for now $75.00 can is too rich for my blood.

PMF likes this.
  7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It's also available for free in HD on Amazon Prime right now. Don't know if it's the same print as the Vudu version but the Amazon stream opens with the Universal logo.

8. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Ah yes, the notorious unfair shipping costs and Canada/USA money exchange. I understand your decision.

PMF likes this.
  9. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    $19.95 on eBay

10. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    The Amazon is the old DVD transfer and looks horrible. This thing is in a whole other universe. Has anybody checked it out?

Peter Apruzzese likes this.
  11. Message #11 of 126 Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I'll try to check out the Vudu version over the weekend.

EDIt - just checked out a few minutes on my PC at work, it looks very good even with our dodgy network speeds here.

12. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

That's good news because I have a gut feeling we'll be seeing this title sooner than later via Twilight Time, Kino Lorber or Shout Factory. In fact, isn't TT due for their monthly announcements today?

PMF likes this.
  13. Message #13 of 126 Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    Thanks very much for the information. I took a look at the Hulu version and it is much better.

This film can be wonderful. One should note that this is a very topical play and movie that proudly bears the imprint of time and place: late 50s/early 60s San Francisco California USA. Even the production design is Chinese-mid century (and very well done in this lavish Ross Hunter production). All of the other R&H productions have a transcendent timelessness about them.

I saw this in original release in late 1961 and many times since. I had already seen the road version of the play. Fans should note that there is a new book from 2002 written by David Henry Hwang that has a somewhat different plot and emphasizes the immigrant experience rather than assimilation.

The show with the new book is also playing occasionally on-stage. I saw this new version on Broadway and recently in Palo Alto. Both versions are worthy, but I prefer the original. This is another story.

14. ajabrams

ajabrams Second Unit

Alan Abrams
    Thanks so much for this!! It does indeed look and sound wonderful. I have very fond memories of seeing this with my parents when it was originally released. It's such a terrific movie and the cast is amazing. Here's hoping for a new BD release soon!!!

15. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

I saw this on VuDu, and it looks identical to what HD Net ran a few years back.
    Nice color and sound, but not up to true modern-day BD standards (unless it's coming from one of those labels that loads up the market with sub-standard old masters). Lots of speckling!

16. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    The ONLY real "speckling" as you call it occurs in the opticals. I think I watched what HD Net ran more than a few years back and I truly do not believe it was this transfer I'm seeing on Vudu.

PMF and ahollis like this.
  17. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    The iTunes HD version looks great. No speckles either.

18. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    The iTunes version also has the Samuel Goldwyn logo.

19. Roger Grodsky

Roger Grodsky Stunt Coordinator

I'm watching it on VUDU right now. Bruce is right. The color and contrast are fabulous and the sound is great (although only two-channel unless I'm doing something wrong). The only slight issue is that the picture is slightly off-center (very apparent during the main titles but also at other times). Thanks for the alert!

ahollis and haineshisway like this.
  20. breeezer

breeezer Agent

Bryce
    Let me guess: It's shifted slightly to the left. Just like the DVD. But maybe the original print was like this?