What's new

A PEEK AT FLOWER DRUM SONG (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Don’t get too excited. Someone pointed me to Vudu where you can watch Flower Drum Song in what I believe is a brand new high definition transfer. Interestingly, the Universal logo is gone and replaced with a Samuel Goldwyn logo – perhaps they have streaming rights? I’d just watched a bit of the Universal DVD a few weeks ago – well, this is quite the step up from that, let me tell you. Incredible clarity, gorgeous color, and the sound blew me away. I didn’t watch it all, but I did see about an hour and skipped around after that. Check it out – you can watch it for free (with ads) or purchase for 6.99. Can someone tell me how the purchase thing works? Do you download it? Anyway, what a pleasant surprise and I’d love to hear other thoughts.
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Flower-Drum-Song/5882

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Don't get too excited. Someone pointed me to Vudu where you can watch Flower Drum Song in what I believe is a brand new high definition transfer. Interestingly, the Universal logo is gone and replaced with a Samuel Goldwyn logo - perhaps they have streaming rights? I'd just watched a bit of the Universal DVD a few weeks ago - well, this is quite the step up from that, let me tell you. Incredible clarity, gorgeous color, and the sound blew me away. I didn't watch it all, but I did see about an hour and skipped around after that. Check it out - you can watch it for free (with ads) or purchase for 6.99. Can someone tell me how the purchase thing works? Do you download it? Anyway, what a pleasant surprise and I'd love to hear other thoughts.

You can download it to a tablet, but mostly the things you buy or rent sit in the cloud and you access them from your "My Vudu" main screen. Then you select it just as you select the "Free with Ads" selections on the screen if accessing from your TV.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can someone tell me how the purchase thing works? Do you download it? Anyway, what a pleasant surprise and I'd love to hear other thoughts.
Purchasing something via streaming is not the same as purchasing physical media. The upside is you get to view a product that may later be updated with a better version (4K, HDR, restored print) at no additional cost, you don't have to take any additional space in your home, and you can watch it on multiple devices in multiple places.

The downside is they control the content. If they decide to censor it, delete it, or upgrade to an inferior product, you have no say. If they go out of business (think Ultraviolet), you don't have anything. You purchased the right to stream, not the product itself. If the streaming becomes unavailable, that's the way it is.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Don't get too excited. Someone pointed me to Vudu where you can watch Flower Drum Song in what I believe is a brand new high definition transfer. Interestingly, the Universal logo is gone and replaced with a Samuel Goldwyn logo - perhaps they have streaming rights? I'd just watched a bit of the Universal DVD a few weeks ago - well, this is quite the step up from that, let me tell you. Incredible clarity, gorgeous color, and the sound blew me away. I didn't watch it all, but I did see about an hour and skipped around after that. Check it out - you can watch it for free (with ads) or purchase for 6.99. Can someone tell me how the purchase thing works? Do you download it? Anyway, what a pleasant surprise and I'd love to hear other thoughts.

100 000 000 miracles. This movie and the Pat Boone “State Fair” are the only R&H movies not available on Blu ray. I wish the companies involved would put them out instead of celebrating the 30th and 1/2 Birthday of “The Sound Of Mucilage” with another configuration — including a free nuns habit!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
100 000 000 miracles. This movie and the Pat Boone “State Fair” are the only R&H movies not available on Blu ray. I wish the companies involved would put them out instead of celebrating the 30th and 1/2 Birthday of “The Sound Of Mucilage” with another configuration — including a free nuns habit!

Twilight Time released the Pat Boone “State Fair” on Blu-Ray and it’s still available.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
For “State Fair” I am going to have to stick to the DVD for now $75.00 can is too rich for my blood.

Reactions: PMF

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

It's also available for free in HD on Amazon Prime right now. Don't know if it's the same print as the Vudu version but the Amazon stream opens with the Universal logo.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
For “State Fair” I am going to have to stick to the DVD for now $75.00 can is too rich for my blood.

Ah yes, the notorious unfair shipping costs and Canada/USA money exchange. I understand your decision.

Reactions: PMF

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The Amazon is the old DVD transfer and looks horrible. This thing is in a whole other universe. Has anybody checked it out?

I'll try to check out the Vudu version over the weekend.

EDIt - just checked out a few minutes on my PC at work, it looks very good even with our dodgy network speeds here.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
That's good news because I have a gut feeling we'll be seeing this title sooner than later via Twilight Time, Kino Lorber or Shout Factory. In fact, isn't TT due for their monthly announcements today?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Thanks very much for the information. I took a look at the Hulu version and it is much better.

This film can be wonderful. One should note that this is a very topical play and movie that proudly bears the imprint of time and place: late 50s/early 60s San Francisco California USA. Even the production design is Chinese-mid century (and very well done in this lavish Ross Hunter production). All of the other R&H productions have a transcendent timelessness about them.

I saw this in original release in late 1961 and many times since. I had already seen the road version of the play. Fans should note that there is a new book from 2002 written by David Henry Hwang that has a somewhat different plot and emphasizes the immigrant experience rather than assimilation.

The show with the new book is also playing occasionally on-stage. I saw this new version on Broadway and recently in Palo Alto. Both versions are worthy, but I prefer the original. This is another story.

Last edited:

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Thanks so much for this!! It does indeed look and sound wonderful. I have very fond memories of seeing this with my parents when it was originally released. It's such a terrific movie and the cast is amazing. Here's hoping for a new BD release soon!!!

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I saw this on VuDu, and it looks identical to what HD Net ran a few years back.
Nice color and sound, but not up to true modern-day BD standards (unless it's coming from one of those labels that loads up the market with sub-standard old masters). Lots of speckling!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc

The iTunes version also has the Samuel Goldwyn logo.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
I'm watching it on VUDU right now. Bruce is right. The color and contrast are fabulous and the sound is great (although only two-channel unless I'm doing something wrong). The only slight issue is that the picture is slightly off-center (very apparent during the main titles but also at other times). Thanks for the alert!

breeezer

Agent
Real Name
Bryce
Let me guess: It's shifted slightly to the left. Just like the DVD. But maybe the original print was like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks