1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A PEEK AT FLOWER DRUM SONG

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by haineshisway, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Those three R&H musicals that didn't have multi-year runs have been pillaged and plundered for songs which have been plugged into other R&H stage ventures like Cinderella and State Fair.

JohnMor likes this.
  2. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    The Whitney Houston produced Cinderella from 1997 even plundered a Rodgers and Hart song (!), “Falling In Love With Love” from The Boys From Syracuse. While it was beautifully performed by Bernadette Peters, Veanne Cox and Natalie Reid, it tonally does not match the R&H score and makes zero sense plot/character-wise. I have nothing against trunk songs or interpolating songs from other shows, but at the bare minimum they should match the score and serve a dramatic purpose.

3. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    The practice of moving songs from one to musical to another--especially when making a film--is very established. Look at Pal Joey or the Cole Porter musicals for example.

R&H themselves were very concerned about the integrity of their stories and didn't do this as much.

I personally like to see things as they were originally presented in most cases.

donniecasali and JohnMor like this.
  4. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    After having seen a full professional production of Pal Joey, I think the Sinatra version is a travesty!

Jim*Tod likes this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    That version also used "The Sweetest Sounds," a very sophisticated and knowing ballad Rodgers wrote both the words and music for in No Strings, a completely inappropriate song for raggedy Cinderella. That version is definitely my least favorite of the three TV versions of Cinderella.

6. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Second Unit
    Supporter

noel
    The problem with the film is you have a Japanese playing a Chinese- almost as bad as Marlon Brando in Teahouse for the August Moon which I saw for the first time the other night on TCM and cringed the whole time watching. How is that alowed to be shown yet Song Of the South not?

JohnMor likes this.
  7. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Supporting Actor

Jim
    Definitely agree about PAL JOEY. The original score is incredible and what ended up in the film was misused. The best thing I can say about the film version is that it gives Sinatra some great songs nicely arranged to sing. I know that Gene Kelly, who created the role on Broadway, was offered the part but his MGM contract prevented it. Oddly enough there have been few major revivals of PAL JOEY over the last few decades. It would seem to be a very sexy show done right. I envy you for getting to see a good production of this.

Robin9 and PMF like this.
  8. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Second Unit
    Supporter

noel
    I wish someone would produce Burt Bacharach’s Lost Horizon on stage.

9. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Are you trying to bring about the Apocalypse?

10. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    This film has always looked muddy and dupey.

11. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

JohnMor and PMF like this.
  12. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    This is what I found on Wikipedia (for what it's worth):

That may also explain why it is not a Movies Anywhere title.

13. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I know it was accepted and customary at the time, and I never thought too much about it as a kid when watching these films, but it is cringe-inducing now to see. The worst example to me being Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany’s which nearly ruins the film for me now. I’m glad for the opportunity to see the work of Juanita Hall since I never had a chance to see her on stage, but to see an African-American woman play Vietnamese or Chinese just doesn’t play anymore. I can easily put it in its historical context, but that doesn’t make it easier to watch anymore.

14. roxy1927

roxy1927 Stunt Coordinator

vincent parisi
    Considering that Juanita Hall's roles in South Pacific and FDS were written for her by the very best I don't understand why you would find her cringeworthy. I think she is pretty wonderful in both films and adds enormously to them. Umeki was Japanese so you cannot watch her either in FDS?

By the time Pal Joey was made Kelly was no longer the star he once was and he was looking a very hard 40 something pushing 50. So it's hard to believe(I'm not saying you're wrong) he was seriously considered for the film at that point. Hardly the handsome charming 30 yr old with the killer smile he was when he originated the role he also had at that point a few big flops behind him. Sinatra is too old as well but at least his re-ascension gave him box office appeal and his voice was in its full glory. Of course Harry Cohn could have made a wonderful film of it in the early 40s(well except for those pesky censorship problems) with Kelly and Rita Hayworth as the young woman about the time of Cover Girl when Louis B didn't know what to make of Kelly until Cohn showed him. Why For Me and My Gal didn't give the canny showman a clue is hard to understand.

By the way on youtube there is a newsreel clip of the premiere of FDS at Radio City where it had its NY first run engagement. You see Rodgers and Kwan among others and an un pc Henny Youngman.

15. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    "You like?"
    "You no like?"

JohnMor and AnthonyClarke like this.
  16. deepscan

deepscan Stunt Coordinator

JP
    I think there is some type of rights issue involved with this film for different media. I believe Universal retains the copyright and the home video rights, but all other rights may now be with MGM (the successor in interest to the Samuel Goldwyn Company).

IMHO not the best adaptation of a R&H musical as the lead actress’ singing voice is dubbed.

17. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    There are two competing casting ideas in recent years: "authentic casting" and "non-traditional casting". Both of these have their triumphs and failures.

It seems to me that if you accept "non-traditional casting" to allow Audra McDonald to sing in The Sound of Music and Carousel, you might also have to accept Jonathan Price in Miss Saigon. Both of these actors are among the best that we have working today.

The theater, especially, is about illusion. Movies arguably require more realism.

Casting FDS has always been a problem. Our recent local production in Palo Alto had several Hispanic actors, several Vietnamese, one Japanese, and a few others that I don't think are ethnically Chinese. This is in Palo Alto, CA, which has a 30% ethnically Chinese population. When I have asked the 42nd Street Moon company to produce FDS, they told me that they couldn't find a sufficiently ethnic cast. This is in San Francisco BTW!

RichMurphy and PMF like this.
  18. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Like the lead actor in the film version of South Pacific was.

PMF likes this.
  19. richardburton84

richardburton84 Stunt Coordinator

Jack
    And like the lead actress in The King and I, if I might add.

Not sure why multi-quote option isn’t working.

PMF and ahollis like this.
  20. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Perhaps they just need some "Happy Talk" ;) to make their dreams come true ...

PMF and ahollis like this.