A Life Less Ordinary Special Edition?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanRevill, Aug 25, 2001.

1. DanRevill

DanRevill Agent

As of late I have been able to find A Life Less Ordinary on Dvd in the local shops. They say they can still order it but I was wondering if Fox is planning on doing a special edition of this flick, cos it's certainly one of the funnier movies to come out in the past 5 years. I'd hate to pick up the bare bones only to hear that there's a spec. ed. comin out...Anyone know anything about it?

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I haven't heard anything about a SE. And, I doubt if this is a title that is going to get reworked anytime soon. Pick up the current edition.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

3. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I doubt it will get reworked.
    It is one of my favorite movies though and it always seems to get overlooked. It has a great sound track as well.
    The whole movie is just pure fun. I like to think of it as Pulp Fiction meets Love Story. [​IMG]
    It seems to always get underrated and compared unfavorable to Trainspoting. I don't know what it is that people have against this movie.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

4. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

After seeing Shallow Grave, the film A Life Less Ordinary cemented Ewan Macgregor as someone I will always try to catch. Even when he fails, it's interesting to watch. The dance number between him and the blonde whom I don't find attractive was great.
    ------------------
    Chris Beveridge
    Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
    Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

5. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

This is a fantastic film! And as Max said, the soundtrack is great too. A highly under-rated gem.

6. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Yep, one of my faves, too. What I wouldn't do for and anamorphic transfer and a DD5.1 track!

7. Brion Lydon

Brion Lydon Stunt Coordinator

I remember reading somewhere that the American version was severly cut compared to the UK version. If so, I know that I would like the UK cut.

8. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I just watched this movie again, it's so great, one of my favorites, mainly because of Delroy Lindo and Holly Hunter, and the excellent compilation of songs/music, best one has to be Deeper River by Dusted that plays during the final confrontation, when Ian Holm's character thinks the dead bodies are moving.

9. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

The R2 release (unless it's been re-released recently unbeknownst to me), was one of the first R2 DVDs. The compression quality is simply awful. There's mosquito noise everywhere. Apart from the terrible encoding, the print itself was in very good shape.

I should note that the R2 AR is different from my NTSC LD - it's 1.85:1 (LD was 2.35:1) - looks to me like it was shot in Super35 (spit) and the matte was opened up. I'm not sure if this was director-approved or not.

We need a Region 1 SE DVD!

10. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

I never had a problem with the 2.35:1 transfers on the R1 DVD & laser, and the 1.85:1 R2 DVD seems to be framed pretty well too. Definitely seems like a Super35 shoot to me. I have an AVI file of a deleted scene where Celine is teaching Robert to shoot a gun. I hope we can see a nice SE with some of these deleted scenes one day.