What's new

A first on the 'One Night at McCools' dvd case? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is odd, but I was looking over the back cover of this disc, and saw the 'This film has been modified to fit your screen' disclaimer on it, AFTER I bought it! It scared the shit out of me, as I thought I had inadvertantly purchased a full frame title! But upon closer inspection, I noticed it said it's presented in 1.77:1.
So is this the first title to ever have the disclaimer on it, but are referring to 16x9 display's instead of 4x3 displays? This film was 1.85:1 in theaters, and 16x9 displays are 1.78:1, so I guess they mean that this film was modified from it's original version(1.85:1), to fit your screen(1.78:1).
I know this is common practice on dvd to present a film on dvd in 1.78:1, even though said film was 1.85:1 in it's theatrical run, but this is the first dvd to have this disclaimer refer to 16x9 displays instead of 4x3 displays, am I right?
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!
[Edited last by John Williamson on October 25, 2001 at 04:57 AM]

Brad_W

Screenwriter
When my wife rented it for us about a week before it came out, it too said the same thing. We actually watched Heartbreakers first because we thought it would be in P&S. Finally, we got around to watching it and it was in a 1.85:1 ratio. When we went back to her video store, all of them were like that. How bizzare. I mentioned this same thing on my thread about One Night at McCool's, but no one really commented on that.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Brad_W, I think you may have SERIOUSLY misunderstood my post, I am not a pan n scan supporter, for me, it's OAR or die!
What I meant was that usually this type of disclaimer is featured on dvd's that are full frame for 4x3 displays, but in this case, it says it even though it's 1.77:1, so the film was modified from 1.85:1, to fit a 1.78:1 screen, this is what I found unusual.
BTW, 'Heartbreakers' was filmed in 2.35:1 anamorphic, not 1.85:1 spherical.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I think you misunderstand my post/I mis-typed my reply.
What I meant was: We didn't watch ONAM first because we thought it was P&S. We watched Heartbreakers first because it was in widescreen.
Here was my original thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/031565.html
------------------
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 25, 2001 at 03:29 PM]

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Roger...
What other movies have you found to be included in this "growing trend" of 1.85 films changed to fit 16x9?
-Chad

Roby Adams

Stunt Coordinator
Whew! Talk about a disaster averted. Calling some one a 'P&S Lover' is like using a recial slur around these parts. :)
Seriously, although I am a staunch supporter of widescreen, and have been since the laserdisc days, I might just switch to P&S advocacy just to shake things up.
---------------------------------------------------------
"Satan, Hitler, Ossama bin Laden, Pan and Scan. They are all evil. Only one is found at blockbuster. Are you really prepared to find out which?"
------------------
200 and 40 dollars worth'a puddin'
My DVDs

Brad_W

Screenwriter
quote: recial slur[/quote]
Or a racial slur! Is a recial slur something to do with the rectum? just kidding! :) Rectum? I barely knew him! ha ha?
Anyway, no problem John. Though I did get offended (at first) when you thought I loved pan and scan which makes me realize that maybe it is like a racial or derogatory slur.
All is better now.
I'll take my meds and hide in the corner drooling on myself.
PS: Even my wife HATES pan and scan. god, I love her.
------------------
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on October 25, 2001 at 06:02 PM]

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
There have always been some studios who re-format 1.85:1 films to 1.78:1. Warners, Columbia and Paramount have been doing this with many of their films for years.

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
There have always been some studios who re-format 1.85:1 films to 1.78:1. Warners, Columbia and Paramount have been doing this with many of their films for years.
True. Even Criterion have been doing this with most of their 1.85:1 films.
But this is a moot issue, IMHO, since overscan makes it impossible for most people to see a difference between the two ratios.
------------------
[ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Chad, I will try to locate a few specific examples and post over the weekend. Most do not say re-formated but rather something like presented in 1.78 aspect ratio.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Thanks Roger I would be very interested to know of a few examples...
I checked my collection (300+) and couldn't find anything that mentioned a 1.78 aspect ratio that wasn't supposed to be (Toy Story 2).
The only disc I can remember having this change was also a USA title, Where The Money Is.
-Chad

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
The Godfather DVDs' ARs were opened up to 1.78:1, nobody seemed to care.
I would argue that the difference is that the decision was Coppola's. I believe that in the thread discussing the transfer quality there was discussion of the films being 1.66 and 1.85 at different times. Either way, Coppola's choice.
-Chad

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
The entire Heartbreakers movie was 2.35, so why would the fact that the deleted scenes are 2.35 be odd???
-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks