What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Underworld: Blood Wars -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is a review of a 4k UHD disc, so let's get the unimportant points out of the way up front.

Underworld: Blood Wars is an awful film, with horrifically laughable dialogue, and hopefully that was it's purpose, as hewn from stone by director Anna Foerster.

Ms Foerster has come to direction after working in effects photography and miniatures. Since most films today are not signed by the director, I'll not call her the "filmmaker" on this one, hoping that she signed on when this project was already representative of what it is in its final form.

According to IMDb, she has a few projects in the offing, and hopefully, they're all hers, and representative of her talents.

I truly enjoyed the original Underworld, and less so those that came after. Filled with the shiny blue/blacks of deep night. The original was a nicely shot film, and one could see the action.

I know that dark in is.

Karl Walter Lindenlaub, who is a fine cinematographer shot the latest installment of Underworld, and whether based upon my system, which seems to be reproducing imagery nicely now, although with the nits of a panel, or by design, much of the imagery appears to have been taken with a lens cap in place.

The wonders of HDR aside, one could easily be watching an experimental Warhol production, possibly a six-hour film entitled A Flea and Its Adventures Around a Bat's Groin at Midnight.

The sum total of which leaves us with a bad film, that one can hardly see at times.

And kudos to Mark S. Allen, of ABC-TV, who called the film "The Best Underworld Yet."

Please let it be the last.

The film was shot in, and finished as a 4k DI, which means that the resultant 4k Blu-ray should be extraordinary. The reality is, that it presumably replicates the desired look of the film.

Audio, presented in Dolby Atmos, is huge, wonderful, and precisely placed.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Similar to Jason, I enjoy these films for the look, action, and FX. I'll probably grab this on a sale at some point, but didn't feel a need to see it in theaters and don't need it at home right away.

They cut the budget in half from the prior film ($35M vs $70M), so that probably accounts for some of the cut-corners. They also reaped equivalent box office, with this latest film taking in almost exactly half the worldwide total of the prior film ($81M vs. $160M), to become the lowest performing entry in the franchise.

After home video, it may achieve a small profit, but I doubt we'll see any more sequels. Then again, I never thought we'd see five films in this franchise to begin with.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I'm a bit confused. Certainly what you wrote in the body of the review doesn't seem to merit a 5 for image quality? Or is that just reflecting that this is an absoluely gorgeous perfect rendering of something filmed in a pitch black room with the lens cap on?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm a bit confused. Certainly what you wrote in the body of the review doesn't seem to merit a 5 for image quality? Or is that just reflecting that this is an absoluely gorgeous perfect rendering of something filmed in a pitch black room with the lens cap on?

The 5 should denote that the release is accurate to intent.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The 5 should denote that the release is accurate to intent.

I haven't viewed this disc, but I did see this one in the theaters (a buddy and I have the tradition of seeing these as a guys night out) and while I agree it's not a very good movie, it wasn't as dark as you're describing. That concerns me somewhat.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I pre-ordered it since I missed it in the theaters and I enjoy these movies... Although I agree each one that arrives I enjoy less then the one before it. Sorta like Resident Evil, Fast n Furious and others probably should have stopped making them 2-3 films before they do.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Katy in spandex aside, there was not much to like about this film, at least in the theater. But I do believe I could see what was happening with no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks