What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Searchers -- in High Definition (1 Viewer)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I used to own the 2-disc remastered LD back in the 90s. The colors were flawless. I’m not sure what happened to the print being used for home video distribution between then and now, but the colors were somehow changed to make everything much more yellow.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just get nervous when someone uses the word yellow. Mr. Pennington isn't as clear as you are, verbiage-wise. and I remain ever hopeful that this is everything we're all hoping it should be.
I believe it will be. Per Mr. Pennington, I don’t believe the distortion came from his comments, but rather from responses. It gets confusing.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I find it baffling that there are still no announcements of screenings in 70 mm, 4K or any format in any major cities.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Why is there a need for 70mm?

This issue strikes me as an analog of the "I hope it comes out on vinyl" one.
Exactly. Give me a 4K DCP on a suitably large screen with a proper sound system and I'm a happy camper. I did travel 8 hours to see Dunkirk in 15/70 IMAX, but that wasn't the whole purpose of the trip, and that was finished photochemically. I have no desire to see a digital restoration on 70mm.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Exactly. Give me a 4K DCP on a suitably large screen with a proper sound system and I'm a happy camper. I did travel 8 hours to see Dunkirk in 15/70 IMAX, but that wasn't the whole purpose of the trip, and that was finished photochemically. I have no desire to see a digital restoration on 70mm.
There is a positive aspect of a 70mm print for the studio, which is that in order to create the print, a 65mm negative must be recorded out. And that negative is a superb physical asset.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Um - don't want to put a damper on the party, but seeing how this thread is going to turn into one of those 100 page ones, could one of the mods please correct the spelling of High Definition in the title?

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Um - don't want to put a damper on the party, but seeing how this thread is going to turn into one of those 100 page ones, could one of the mods please correct the spelling of High Definition in the title?
Wow. Never noticed that. Kudos. 👍

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I believe he's saying the 70mm projector is mounted too high above the screen, and as a result the image it projects onto the screen is trapezoidal in shape with incorrect picture geometry for everything in the photography.
This is correct. Having been a projectionist in a few places with a large down-angle, keeping focus even across the entire image was sometimes a problem in addition to the geometry. Now, in this case, The Searchers is 1.85 flat so the distortion may not be as noticeable as it was with 2001, especially if they have their side masking working correctly.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is correct. Having been a projectionist in a few places with a large down-angle, keeping focus even across the entire image was sometimes a problem in addition to the geometry. Now, in this case, The Searchers is 1.85 flat so the distortion may not be as noticeable as it was with 2001, especially if they have their side masking working correctly.
For those who may not be aware, many theaters dating back to before the cinema era, had projection booths literally grafted to the side of the building - an entire structure, basically stuck on.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I was only a booth like that one time, but it was in a gutted building so there was no gear.

My favorites were the ones that were like a concrete bunker with the nitrate fire shutters still intact. 😀

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
From The Digital Bits regarding THE SEARCHERS...."The rest of this effort is both a new 4K master likely to be used for a physical 4K Ultra HD release in the next 12-24 months," That's ridiculous. Zazlov is probably going to shelve if he can write it off. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks