What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Legend of Tarzan -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm a Hugh Hudson fan, and was very appreciative of his 1984 Greystoke, with Christopher Lambert as the lead.

That was a film, that re-introduced the Tarzan legend to audiences of the time, in a serious way. Shot by John Alcott, and cut by Anne Coates, it was pure British cinema.

Now, three decades later, that legend has been re-imagined for more modern, (and more PC) audiences, by David Yates, who, to my mind, cast the perfect lead in Alex Skarsgard to play the titular character.

If the film has a production progenitor, that might be found in the classic Powell / Pressburger, 1946 production, Black Narcissus.

Both were set in foreign locales, where shoots would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible, and both were shot behind studio gates in England. Background plates for Tarzan were taken in Gabon.

The entire jungle was a studio creation, and to my eye, a brilliant one.

The film was shot as 6k on a Red Epic, and finished as a 2k DI. The 3D version is also a product of post.

For this discussion, I selected the new 4k UHD / HDR release, and am pleased that I did.

I've not been a fan of HDR, as used by the studios, as in most cases, the image is slathered in the stuff.

Not so, Legend of Tarzan.

A beautiful image, (the 4k has a superior up-rez to the Blu, up-rezzed via player) seems to have been gently massaged, where practicable, with HDR, and the final result is glorious.

With every animal, fully computer generated, problems might have occurred, but the overall believability is total.

Audio is the original Dolby Atmos mix, which fills the stage with perfectly placed effects.

A superb 4k release from WB, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Next week, I plan on doing another 3-D versus 4K/UHD comparison test with this film. If the trend continues with this particular film, I'm finding that viewing 4K/UHD is preferable over watching the 3-D discs in my home theater environment.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Next week, I plan on doing another 3-D versus 4K/UHD comparison test with this film. If the trend continues with this particular film, I'm finding that viewing 4K/UHD is preferable over watching the 3-D discs in my home theater environment.
I await your comparison with interest. Personally, I wish the studios would put the 3D version on the 4K release, they charge enough for them.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel

Might be the case with this title as the 3D is very mild

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think your statement is an indictment of Hollywood and its implementation of 3D.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Funny [emoji23] no one has yet mentioned the 1981 Bo Derek Film "Tarzan, The Ape Man".

That one was a true classic stinker of a movie [emoji327] from what the reviews of the day. And a total box office flop which if the film industry stays true to form, will get a full UHD 4K restoration & UHD Blu release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Funny [emoji23] no one has yet mentioned the 1981 Bo Derek Film "Tarzan, The Ape Man".

That one was a true classic stinker of a movie [emoji327] from what the reviews of the day. And a total flop which if the film industry stays true to form will get a full UHD 4K restoration & UHD Blu release.
I actually watched that piece of crap in an almost empty movie theater. One of the worst films I have ever viewed in a movie theater. One of the few times, I almost decided to leave before the movie was over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks