What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ good night, and good luck -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've now seen good night, and good luck on in three different DVD releases.

It was beautiful as a screener, made a equally nice SD DVD...

but in HD, it looks gorgeous!

One look at the crawl early in the film, with black letters against the production footage background, and you know that you're viewing something special.

The blacks, the spectrum of grays, the shadow detail, are all perfect.

As the first black and white production on HD, the film stands alone as a monument to modern home video technology, and a beautifully produced film.

Extremely Highly Recommended.

RAH

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
As always, thanks RAH!

I heard the BD looks amazing as well!
A reference disc for Blu-ray has arrived!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
It does indeed look spectacular. One point that really impressed me was the resolution of the glen plaid suits Murrow and others were wearing. In SD, they're a mess. In HD, they're gorgeous. Razor sharp clarity all the way through. Proof positive that black & white films benefit from HD just as much as, if not more than, Technicolor extravaganzas.

My review at dOc:
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=8895

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
B&W films on HD-DVD/BR have full 1080p spatial resolution. Color films don't since only one in 4 pixels has the color difference signal defined. The rest is interpolated during playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks