What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Golden Boy (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I would think that if one attempted to categorize him today, the word used would be "techno-geek."

Always ahead of the pack and past the cusp, he was a filmmaker that constantly pushed the limits of early sound as well as the synchronized visual image.

Rouben Mamoulian (1897 - 1987) made his mark from his very first production, the 1929 Applause, and continued to do things differently for decades. For his use of image and sound, one might compare him to Martin Scorsese.

Golden Boy (1939) was a Columbia production based upon the stage play of the same name, and while the stage roots of the drama are still visible, the Mamoulian touches are all over it.

Another important point about Golden Boy is the first credited appearance of 21 year-old William Holden in the lead. Championed for the role by Barbara Stanwyck, Mr. Holden gives a performance perfectly in sync with the year 1939, adding one more point to it's being the most important year in film history. There are now enough of Mr. Holden's films that have been released to DVD to give those who may not have been around to catch his work on screen the amazing professionalism of his work. Comparing his Joe Bonaparte at the age to 21 in Golden Boy to Pike Bishop, 30 years later in The Wild Bunch, best viewed in high definition, tells a story that cannot be explained here in words.

On DVD, Golden Boy looks right for it's age, with a tiny bit of what appears to be nitrate decomp, as well as an occasional bit of other damage. And I do mean "occasional," as overall this is a gorgeous representation of a wonderful and historic film, that has obviously be given an all-star treatment by the archival staff. Blacks and whites throughout the spectrum look proper, as does grain structure, yielding a beautiful image.

Golden Boy, a Columbia picture from Sony comes Highly Recommended.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been waiting on this one for so many years as Barbara Stanwyck is by far my favorite actress. I'll never forget her stating on a televised movie award program many years ago that Holden will always be her "Golden Boy". I wished the both of them made more than a couple of films together since it was very apparent that they were life-long friends and had excellent film chemistry.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Osc; no extras, but you might be better off with this R2 box for £8.49 which contains: Double Indemnity / The Lady Eve / Bitter Tea of General Yen / Golden Boy / The Miracle Woman / All I Desire

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Sony is finally doing something with its classics :)

Just spotted It Came from Beneath the Sea (55) on DVDEmpire for a January 15th Sony release. Not my type of film at all, but very sure it will make a lot of people happy! :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The image looks as thought it's been filtered somehow or sepia tinted and is quite ugly looking. What happened and what could've caused this? There are no stark black and whites throughout the entire transfer, there is an ugly murky hue instead that diminishes the photography. Who else is disappointed with this transfer and what went wrong?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Did something go wrong, or is that the way the film is supposed to look? I have no idea one way or the other, but with out more information about the original release that may or may not have been tinted, I don't know if we can say that it's wrong.

Doug

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Well I don't mean to criticize Robert Harris' opinion, but he states: "Blacks and whites throughout the spectrum look proper, as does grain structure, yielding a beautiful image." However, there really are NO black & whites in the transfer at all. It's more of a murky tint throughout. Just look at Gary's screen caps here: Golden Boy - Stanwyck Holden

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've merged another thread into RAH's since there seems to be some question about the transfer and RAH's opinion about it.

I haven't watched my dvd of Golden Boy yet, but I've seen some films from that era that had sepia tone to the video.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've re-examined Golden Boy, and while I still feel that it looks better than it has in decades, even with what appear to be bits of dupes mixed in, there absolutely is something going on with color. The grey scale, especially for a film in this condition works well, however...

I noted a shift to a slight green about 30 minutes in, which then corrects itself. There also seem to be occasional red or magenta "blobs" which appear here and there, on and off in different scenes.

Whether an anomaly of compression or transfer, something is odd.

My hat is off to those who caught the problem, and apologies from this quarter for not having seen it initially. My only possible excuse was that this was the last film viewed before getting on a train for three days. My mind must have been elsewhere.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like "Golden Boy" has moved up in order of my backlog titles not watched yet. I'll watch this dvd sometime this week.

Crawdaddy

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Going solely by the screen caps (not advisable, I realize), I don't see any sepia tone to the image at all. If anything, there appears to be *slightly* more green in the R1 version over the other one. But definitely not a sepia tint from what I can see.

This one is on my list to pick up...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Well I take back what I said, I certainly don't think the transfer looks horrible and it's definitely worth owning. It's a top-notch film and Holden's first-starring vehicle which should be enough to pique interest. I'm very happy to see Sony putting more effort and focus into their classic catalog and this disc is especially stacked. The Ford Television Theatre episode, Columbia cartoon and comedy short are almost enough to warrant purchase alone for me! I just think that overall, the transfer is lacking. The contrast is quite poor, the image leans to a murky green rather than a crisp black & white as it should. It's not enough to distract from the enjoyment of the film itself, but it's also not what it could've been. I'm not sure why it looks the way it does or what happened to the transfer that we have this color shift part way through. But I reckon this'll be the best we'll see from this film in any format for many, many years... so despite it's inconsistencies, I'll certainly enjoy it none-the-less.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Once again I re-visited Golden Boy.

Between the time that I originally screened the disc and my second viewing, and apparently caused by a power failure, the monitor on which I had screened re-set itself to factory standards.

Not a good thing.

I was troubled by the heightened chroma and what appeared to be red blotches, re-checked and found the monitor now set to the wonderful "Vivid" setting.

Great for chameleons, poisonous frogs and other such creatures.

Properly set, the red blotches, along with the subtle green tint, has disappeared. It should be noted that since monitors are no longer black & white, that we're constantly dealing with all three colors. For true b & w, avoid "Vivid."

A tip of the hat to NYSG&E for the re-set.

I see no problem with Golden Boy.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks