What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Duel in the Sun -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
There was one major deletion, which I attempted to locate at the time we performed the dye transfer tests in Beijing.

Hi Mr. Harris, with the new Kino Blu-ray was this major deletion found and restored to the film? what was this deletion and how many minutes of running time are we talking about?

In the review i read of the Blu Ray from Kino its mentioned about a 10 minute audio prelude and a two minute overature - is it this 12 minutes that make it the Roadshow edition at 144 as opposed to running 132 without it? Or, are there other additions as well?

I'm looking forward to my copy already. Thank you

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hi Mr. Harris, with the new Kino Blu-ray was this major deletion found and restored to the film? what was this deletion and how many minutes of running time are we talking about?

In the review i read of the Blu Ray from Kino its mentioned about a 10 minute audio prelude and a two minute overature - is it this 12 minutes that make it the Roadshow edition at 144 as opposed to running 132 without it? Or, are there other additions as well?

I'm looking forward to my copy already. Thank you

Long overture et al.

Never located "hump at the sump," which was lost to censorship. Some sequences directed by Sternberg.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I think it looks pretty good overall, given the caveats that Mr. Harris mentioned. I'm generally pleased with the whole package.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
can anyone compare it to the 2004 DVD?
film runs 144 on the 2004 MGM DVD, remove the prelude/overature and exit music then, the actual film is 128min

is this the road show version?

does the Blu-ray run the same length?

is it worth it to upgrade? The DVD looks pretty good on my Sony Blu ray player.

thank you
Anthony

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
can anyone compare it to the 2004 DVD?
film runs 144 on the 2004 MGM DVD, remove the prelude/overature and exit music then, the actual film is 128min

is this the road show version?

does the Blu-ray run the same length?

is it worth it to upgrade? The DVD looks pretty good on my Sony Blu ray player.

thank you
Anthony
I confirmed this morning that it's the same length on this Blu-ray.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I think it looks pretty good overall, given the caveats that Mr. Harris mentioned. I'm generally pleased with the whole package.
The "caveats" are so important; as it prepares us and places us fully within the context of what we're about to see.. And, in so doing, we can hopefully sit back, relax and be in the right mind-set to not only enjoy, but to also appreciate the latest work that's been done within the best of abilities; both technical and financial.

Last edited:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Watched it last weekend. As said by many others, if you want with your expectations adjusted, this is not a bad disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, this disc is far from PQ of Gone with the Wind BD release. If I had to give it a video grade from 1-5 with 5 being the best, I would grade it a 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks