What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Divergent -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't recall there being YA films, at the time that I was a YA.

The Beach Party productions? Not really.

The Roger Corman AIP horror classics? Great date films, but no.

Anyone have any ideas?

A decade previous, screens had teen angst, in the form of James Dean.

Now we have dystopian societies, after the Great War, with YAs taking on those in control.

And winning. If they lost, box office would be nil.

Divergent, and those films that followed in the series -- now a trilogy with a fourth on the way -- are a definite step down from the Hunger Games films, both in production values as well as acting. And different from the Maze Runner films.

But that's fine.

I'd never seen one, but needed to check out 4k was handled, and came away more impressed with the technical aspects of the disc than with the film, which in my eyes, is okay.

The first in the series was a 2k DI, which means that the resultant up-rez will be slightly better on a 4k disc than having one's play do the chore. The addition of HDR, which raises contrast, also creates the illusion of more resolution, which isn't really there. Whether a remaining anomaly of the way that the Samsung interacts with a Sony 665, I'm not certain, but for the record, I'm seeing a few instances of banding.

Audio in the first film is DTS:X, which is definitely room-filling, and rich, but still a different than Dolby Atmos, which remains my preferred format, and which is also the format of choice for future installments in the series.

Bottom line, from a tech perspective, is that one really doesn't need 4k Blu-rays of titles finished in 2k, as all that's really gained is HRD, and a bit of resolution. As a series, with the third installment completed in 4k, I fully understand the desire to release the entire series in UHD, and those fans of the series will be thrilled.

Those interested in the plot, and details, are best to visit Todd Erwin's review here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/divergent-uhd-review/

I need to find the time to view the second and third installments, but after perusing Todd's comments, it sounds as if this may be the best of the bunch.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended (for YA, and those who can relate)

RAH

Last edited:

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Assuming that we are disregarding fluff such as Twist Around the Clock and Don't Knock the Twist, a couple of serious teen angst films from the early sixties which come to mind are Because They're Young (1960) and Splendor in the Grass (1962).

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
So you know for sure that new 4K DI where not created? or are you just believing what Amazon is telling you?

I'm looking forward to watching these, it has been awhile.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The last movie to play on the huge screen at Century 22 in San Jose- I can't watch this now without crying. (The theater is still sitting empty, with threats of demolition.)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So you know for sure that new 4K DI where not created? or are you just believing what Amazon is telling you?

I'm looking forward to watching these, it has been awhile.

I always believe what Amazon tells me.

Unless I read it on the web.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As far as I'm concerned Shailene Woodley can hold her own against Jennifer Lawrence as an actress.

Very different, but both getting better with each film. I believe Lawrence is a bit more nuanced, but Woodley, grows nicely into her character in the Divergent films.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I would say that we have always had YA films since the 50's, with the definition being films that had a special message to teens and young adults against a background of hypocrisy and authoritarianism.

1. The Gidget and other surfing pictures in the late 50's into the early sixties.
2. A Summer Place and similar pictures with Troy Donahue etc. [A Summer Place is a good film and holds up.]
3. The Graduate and a host of imitators, on into The Sterile Cookoo, Love Story, etc that suggested young people had a special sensibility and would take over and improve the world (or might imagine that they would).
4, Wild in the Streets serves as a brilliant satire of these pictures, and Logan's Run turns it into dystopian sci-fi that rivals Divergent in tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks