What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Big Brown Eyes -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I continue to applaud Kino, as they bring out multi-disc sets from Universal's Paramount library, especially since they're packaged in single cases within a heavy paper box.

As a Cary Grant fan, and taking an interest in how he created the Grant character, I was thrilled with their recent release of the 1933 The Eagle and the Hawk.

Now moving onward to 1936, as part of their new Cary Grant set, we receive Big Brown Eyes, directed by Raoul Walsh, which pairs Mr. Grant with Joan Bennett.

Neither a great nor important film, it serves my purpose toward experiencing the growth of Mr. Grant's persona. And there it succeeds.

Audio is fine for the era. The image appears to come from a decent transfer derived from a dry gate fine grain, which itself shows a bit of wear and damage, but never enough to become problematic.

The fine grain was well made, and supports a quality image with a proper gray scale and nice grain structure.

Not restored, and probably not worth restoring, merely preserving.

Big Brown Eyes is boxed along with Ladies Should Listen (1934), and Wedding Present (1936).

Image – 3.5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

RAH

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thanks for the review. I've always loved BIG BROWN EYES.

How does THE EAGLE AND THE HAWK look?

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
The main title for me in the Cary Grant box set is Wedding Present which I believe is when the Cary Grant persona was fully developed. Also it is a very similar type movie to His girl Friday and may be the film that influenced Howard Hawks decision to change Hildy from a male reporter in the front page to a female reporter. Hawks denied this but a movie filmed 4 years before His Girl Friday would have been shown all over the country and may have indirectly influenced him.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The main title for me in the Cary Grant box set is Wedding Present which I believe is when the Cary Grant persona was fully developed. Also it is a very similar type movie to His girl Friday and may be the film that influenced Howard Hawks decision to change Hildy from a male reporter in the front page to a female reporter. Hawks denied this but a movie filmed 4 years before His Girl Friday would have been shown all over the country and may have indirectly influenced him.

Interesting comment. On the pile. The persona was certainly coming together by the following year - 1937.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Ok i should have said almost fully developed (a great deal more than Big Brown Eyes and any previous Paramount films. With wedding present being his last paramount film i can see the Cary Grant persona very clearly but cant see it very much in big brown eyes and earlier films (only small pieces of it.) Actually i might go as far as stating that the Cary grant person that we have all come to know started with Wedding Present, but that's just my view on it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ok i should have said almost fully developed (a great deal more than Big Brown Eyes and any previous Paramount films. With wedding present being his last paramount film i can see the Cary Grant persona very clearly but cant see it very much in big brown eyes and earlier films (only small pieces of it.) Actually i might go as far as stating that the Cary grant person that we have all come to know started with Wedding Present, but that's just my view on it.

I was purposefully going through this set chronologically with the persona growth concept in mind. I never had the opportunity to meet the gentleman. Would have loved to be able to ask that question.

MikeDE

Second Unit
I’m glad to see these, but sure wish She Done Him Wrong and I’m No Angel would come out on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks