What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Interpreter (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While attempts at "stylish" thrillers seem to be a dime a dozen these days, when an accomplished filmmaker returns to a genre in which he has performed beautifully in the past, the film is worth a viewing.

I had missed The Interpreter theatrically, and was thrilled to have caught it on DVD.

Director Sydney Pollack, who has given us films such as The Firm, Havana, Absence of Malice and Three Days of the Condor serves up an accomplished political thriller with superb performances from Nicoloe Kidman and Sean Penn, and enough twists and turns to keep the audience more than happy.

Make sure that you check out the alternate ending, which I might have preferred, although in the real world it may not have occurred. But this is film.

An area for futher discussion is a comparison of the editing syles of William Steinkamp and Anne Coates, who cut In the Line of Fire, a similarly paced film.

This superbly crafted modern thriller comes highly recommended. As an aside, I did not view this on a large screen, and cannot make technical notes. One individual, who projected it to 185"! had some misgivings, but it must be said that the format was not intended for that sort of enlargement.

RAH

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
This film is worth a look for the location alone. First film shot inside the UN building. It's also a good, intelligent thriller.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
lol,

hi Robert. Was watching Life and Death of Peter Sellers last night and noticed how despite not having a pop-out image, it was totally free of EE...way better than the INTERPRETER in that sense. I would assume Peter Sellers was not shot on video.

The projection size is within spec of the projector and for the most part DVDs look just fine.

HOFDaggers has been the worst looking so far though.

As for the much lauded UN location...I don't think it would have changed the tone of the movie had it not been used.

I will test it on a smaller 50" plasma for those EE shots.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To Chris Cane:

Are you using dual projectors, or do you get enough light output with a single unit?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Didn't realise one could use dual projectors! Explain for all if you may.

I did a bit of research for our modest HT.

Got a Panasonic L500 3 chip LCD HD capable.

Da-lite high power screen.

Best picture we got was the ALFIE remake. Couldn't be faulted. And last week ROBOTS.

A dark room works best.

Honoured to be asked, lol.

...a few last words...please don't misspell my name (think Michael), otherwise just call me Yumbo!

ok...watching plasma right now...the opening shots with the power poles are a dead giveaway on the EE...just terrible.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

No, but there is a certain drool response when I hear specs like that. :)

Oh, and HTF Review. :b

- Steve

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hi steve!

good to see you around from the old days.

go here:

http://ifiji.com/imdvd/theatre.html

Only with titles you don't expect to see on a large screen is when the drool develops.

eg. Blue Man Group Complex Live Tour was more satisfactory than watching Unleashed, visually.

ps. is this the first time the director has acted in his own movie? and does he enjoy acting in general (in other people's movies)?

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Pollack played a bit part in Random Hearts.

Supposedly he took a small part in this to save money from having to hire another actor.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Pollack has been used by many directors over the years and he is actually not a bad actor IMO, Kubrick made very good use of him in Eyes Wide Shut.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Blue Man Group has been a constant demo on the DLP projectors at our nearby geek superstore. I wonder what the RAH factor would be on this wonderful little show (which was filmed largely at a nearby theater.)

Pollack has made several movie appearances, most notably (to me) in his Tootsie as Dustin Hoffman's agent and as the E.R. doctor in Robert Zemeckis' Death Becomes Her.

- Steve

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hmmmm,

BMGroup ain't the hottest picture, and even blown up non-anamorphic still is HIGHLY entertaining.

Steve, which aspect was 'wow' for you?

ps. does Richard Donner act as well? I always confuse him with a lot of character parts ala the Police Captain.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Donner occaisionally does small cameos in his own films. I know in Conspiracy Theory he's one of the first, if not the first, passenger in Mel Gibson's cab at the beginning of the film.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I just finished watching it.

I loved the Pan & Scan vs. Widescreen extra from Pollack. Great to see a director telling whats what.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks