What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Unsane -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm not quite certain what to say about Unsane, Steven Soderbergh's psychological thriller, shot (by the director) with an iPhone, and some special optics from Moment.

https://www.shopmoment.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvM30lIHq2wIVQrnACh1hIg_CEAAYASAAEgJki_D_BwE

Finished as a 4k DI, what we see, is precisely what we were meant to see.

Extremely deep blacks, minimal shadow detail, decent color, and resolution, looking nothing like what might be created with a larger chip via a camera normally set for cinematography.

The experiment either proves that a feature film can be shot with an iPhone, or possibly that it shouldn't be.

Does it work for this film?

I presume it does.

Would I like to see it used for other features?

Don't think so.

Did it allow a couple of iPhones to be written off as part of the reported 1.5 million dollar budget?

Hopefully.

From a base perspective, the film seems to about our Federal government, as well as local law enforcement, either in cahoots, or maneuvered by a group of psychological medical facilities that bilk the system, holding patients against there will.

At least until insurance funds dry up.

Tie that together with a potential stalker, and you've got the picture.

Or at least might, dependent upon whose eyes you're viewing, and who you believe.

To that end, Claire Foy gives a wonderfully nuanced, and naked performance, in an extremely challenging role. She proves her mettle.

The film is unusually hard matted at 1.56, which was actually a standard aspect ratio for films released in the U.S. on 23 March 2018.

Possibly, the most important point is that the film was created for an extremely low sum for a professional feature film.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
I'm a big fan of Steven Soderbergh's and admire his unique style and how he experiments occasionally. I have read a lot of negative reviews for this one but may give it a watch sometime...how I long for a quality bluray or 4K release of his brilliant 'The Limey' (Terence Stamp, Peter Fonda, Barry Newman etc).
That one was made on a small budget too ($10,000,00) and is his best film IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks