What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Lifeboat (1 Viewer)

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
In regards to financially supporting institutions that fund film preservation, I always thought that it would be a neat idea to be able to "adopt" a film and donate money toward the care and restoration of that film. I would seriously consider re-financing my house to see Columbia restore "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr T". I'm thrilled to have it on DVD and it looks better that I have ever seen it, but it could use some cleaning up. And it kills me to think that all of the deleted musical numbers might be hiding in a vault somewhere. But anyway, that's my idea: if you want to see your favorite film restored, pay money to the studio and they in turn could list your name in the DVD credits.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The idea is not unheard-of: AnimEigo listed the names of the people who paid to have Kimagure Orange Road released on LaserDisc in the credits on that boxset, and I think also with the Urursei Yatsura LD box; if I'm not mistaken there was a similar deal with the beautifully restored Macross DVDs. In each case it was a question of fan inquiries to clue them in to the demand, then a petition to demonstrate the degree of interest, then actual pre-orders to pay for the work.
Alas, there's a world of difference between a little North Carolina specialty licensor selling into a small but hard-core fanbase and a limited market outside that, and a big Hollywood studio trying to push its product into video retail outlets across the nation. What makes sense for one might not for the other, and more importantly, might never even be considered.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

In the case of Citizen Kane, there is scene which features an open window showing that it's raining outside. The system used to remove film grain mistakenly removed some of the rain, and as a result on the DVD the rain on the bottom half of the window is completly gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks