What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... King Kong (1 Viewer)

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Wow. The amount of detail in the properly restored Warner release is staggering compared to some of the other releases. This is especially evident on the screenshot where King Kong is on the roof of the skyscraper. And not surprisingly, those colourised versions look the worst, an absolute abomination. :thumbsdown:

My pre-order for the tin has been placed.

JackKay

Second Unit
DaViD Boulet's post #34: could not have said it better. My feelings are the same. Thank You RAH!

Now, hurry Tuesday, or, send me all the screeners!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
FYI, my interview with Ray Harryhausen, in which he chats about attending the premiere of King Kong and his work with Willis O'Brien is up at dOc:

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...iew.php3?ID=75

I also got to ask him about the intended aspect ratios of his movies, a topic of much discussion here a while back.

I just hope I'm that sharp when I'm 85. A very nice man.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Great interview, Mark. Regarding his aspect ratios, that's the exact same thing he told me three years ago when I met him at the Lake Placid Film Festival.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
What's with all of the grain??? ....just kidding.

So has anyone posted some pics of Jackson's Spider Pit?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I would suggest that shots from the "Spider Pit" sequence NOT be posted. It is best to watch the documentary and then the sequence, as intended.

Posting without the necessary caveats would be inappropriate.

RAH

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how many people will be able to control themselves enough to watch a nearly 3 hour documentary before peeking at the spider pit sequence. I know I couldn't. :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I don't care if they are posted here specifically but I am curious as to why no one has done so on the web so far. Plus not everyone needs the proper "context" lest they be disappointed, I fully understand that this is not meant to be anything but an approximation of what they think the scene would look like, I am just curious as to why no one has posted any pics of it anywhere yet considering the wild curiosity that has surrounded this extra.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The documentary re: the "Spider Sequence" is 30 minutes, inclusive of the sequence. This is a totally separate documentary.

RAH

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
So I gather the "Spider Sequence" is an extra and part of the documentary and not re-inserted into the film? From reading all the postings here and on the separate Spider Pit thread, I had a vague sense it was not put back into the film. No matter, I look forward to seeing it whereever it is. Thanks!

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, it's an extra. You couldn't RE-insert it into the film, anyway, since Jackson's "spider-pit sequence" has never been in the film - this is a modern-day recreation, not the original sequence. Hugely looking forward to it.:)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I just hit the play all button for the documentaries and they played as one big film with just a title card separating them. But yes, one can select out the portion on the spider pit, but it's in the middle of the list as I recall.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just watched the spider pit.
didnt have time for the entire doc right now.

interesting.

have to watch the doc later, i guess there is something there discussing the spiderpit scene.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Found a copy of the 2 disc collector tin and just finished the first feature " I'm King Kong! The Exploits Of Merian C. Cooper ". Quite a fascinating story on this individual and the part he played in bringing Cinerama to the big screen was very interesting. It was also great to see scenes from some Cinerama features. Guess I'll have to watch Kong himself tomorrow. I'm kind of let down by the fact that the poster offer seems to apply to the U.S. only though. Nice to see the front of the tin case is stamped so that Kong is in relief ( raised form ).Plus the case hinges open which I found much easier to work with. Very well done - thankyou for the effort Warners!

BarryS

Second Unit
I just watched King Kong last night. I had seen it only once before about five years ago, but seeing it again was really a revelation. It is an amazing movie. Probably the greatest adventure film ever made. The Jurassic Park of its era. The climactic Empire State Building scene is simply stunning. I'm very glad that this classic is now on DVD for future generations to discover.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Since I'm sure Peter Jackson agrees, it kind of makes you wonder why he had to re-re-make it, doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks