What's new

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Will get the three new releases in my hands by Thursday and will compare them to my region B's to see how they look. I wonder if Kino will release Passport to Pimlico & Whisky Galore?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You're missing what I'm saying. There are no new UK discs of Lavender Hill Mob or Man in the White Suit. Hence, there are no "new" versions outside the ones created in 2011-2012.

Coronets DID receive a new 4K scan/restoration/edition/whatever. Semantics aside, that's not what's important what it is. Kino did NOT receive that master, but received the 2011 one for their discs, which is the issue.

You claimed that all 3 got 4K restorations and claim there are better masters out there that have been released, but outside of Coronets, there have not been any other releases since 2011-2012, and the Kino discos are identical to the 2011'2012 UK versions.

I’m following your comments. Canal publicized 2k work c. 2011, which would still not give us what I’m seeing unless all the elements are merde, French for extremely heavily shrunken.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I’m following your comments. Canal publicized 2k work c. 2011, which would still not give us what I’m seeing unless all the elements are merde, French for extremely heavily shrunken.
I believe you are saying Merde was the case ... ;)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Not according to StudioCanal, which specifically says 4K restoration. The previous disc was a 2K scan.

I can say 4K restoration, too. It's meaningless. So, the 2K was a "scan" and because it's 4K now it's suddenly a restoration? No, no, and no again. There's no semantics aside - words have meanings and in the film world restoration, because of misuse, has lost every iota of what it actually means and is a slap in the face to anyone who actually does film restoration.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can say 4K restoration, too. It's meaningless. So, the 2K was a "scan" and because it's 4K now it's suddenly a restoration? No, no, and no again. There's no semantics aside - words have meanings and in the film world restoration, because of misuse, has lost every iota of what it actually means and is a slap in the face to anyone who actually does film restoration.

We’ve not seen it. May be restored. The trailer, while heavily compressed, has promise.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another important point. If something looks pristine, and is referenced as restored, doesn’t mean that it is. Most “restorations” are marketing sizzle.

Could simple be a new transfer from a clean element.

Think The Little Mermaid!

Far too many transfers, image harvests to video being called restored. In most cases, but not all, the finished result should be recorded back to film as a stable asset.

Case in point. Canal would have us believe that they’ve done a true 4k restoration of Kind Hearts, and we are now unable to take them at their word.

It must be proven.

And that’s unfortunate.

But thank the marketing people, those picking low-hanging fruit, or calling lumpfish eggs, caviar.

The term used to have meaning.

No longer.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From Amazon:

June 2019 marks the 70th anniversary of the original UK release of KIND HEARTS & CORONETS, the jewel in Ealing Studios' crown, and arguably one of the finest British films ever made. To celebrate this anniversary STUDIOCANAL are releasing this stunning Collector's Edition as part of their Vintage Classics Collection on June 24th 2019. The Collector's Edition includes the restored film on Blu-ray, DVD plus booklet (with contributions from Ealing expert Matthew Sweet), art cards including original costume illustrations and theatrical poster.

Hailing from the Golden-Age of Ealing comedies (Passport to Pimlico and Whisky Galore! also turn 70 this year) KIND HEARTS & CORONETS stars Dennis Price as the debonair yet impoverished Louis Mazzini, the would-be Duke of Chalfont whose mother was disinherited by her noble family, the D'Ascoynes, for marrying beneath her. When her dying wish to be buried in the family crypt is refused, Louis vows to avenge his mother and work his way up the family tree, by engaging in the gentle art of murder. One by one he attempts to kill off the eight successors that stand in the way of his becoming Duke -all played by Alec Guinness in an unforgettable tour-de-force performance.

Directed by Robert Hamer (who co-wrote the screenplay with John Dighton) KIND HEARTS & CORONETS also stars Joan Greenwood as the husky-voiced siren Sibella and Valerie Hobson as the refined and virtuous Edith D'Ascoyne, both of whom threaten to distract Louis from his murderous quest.

A wonderfully entertaining combination of biting class satire, hilarious farce and pitch-black comedy, this story of a suave and elegant serial murderer is as sharp and funny today as ever.

The 35 mm nitrate original negative of Kind Hearts & Coronets was scanned in 4K resolution at 16bit by the BFI archive. The resulting files were sent to Silver Salt Restoration, for restoration and colour grading. Extensive manual correction was carried out on a frame by frame basis to fix large dirt debris, warping, tears, scuffs and scratches. It was colour corrected by Senior Colourist, Steve Bearman.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
So, it sounds like Kino were not provided with the new 4K-sourced master that was released on Blu-ray in the UK (and Germany) earlier this summer, but instead were supplied with the previous HD master that was released on Blu-ray in the UK in 2011 (and again in a box set in 2014). The 2011 UK Blu-ray is the one currently included in the DVD Beaver comparison and review.

The new UK Blu-ray was reviewed at Blu-ray.com last month, where there are numerous screenshots. I haven't watched my copy yet, but looking at the screenshots from DVD Beaver, the differences between the Kino / 2011 UK BD and the new UK BD are obvious, because for a start, the new UK disc is framed slightly wider than the Kino / 2011 UK discs.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So, it sounds like Kino were not provided with the new 4K-sourced master that was released on Blu-ray in the UK (and Germany) earlier this summer, but instead were supplied with the previous HD master that was released on Blu-ray in the UK in 2011 (and again in a box set in 2014). The 2011 UK Blu-ray is the one currently included in the DVD Beaver comparison and review.

The new UK Blu-ray was reviewed at Blu-ray.com last month, where there are numerous screenshots. I haven't watched my copy yet, but looking at the screenshots from DVD Beaver, the differences between the Kino / 2011 UK BD and the new UK BD are obvious, because for a start, the new UK disc is framed slightly wider than the Kino / 2011 UK discs.

Could you provide a link to the new UK disc - want to purchase - then I'll get the Kino and we'll have an answer once and for all - happy to take this one for the team, because Mr. Kino's remark about not being interested in Flower Drum Song has rankled me, oh, yes, it has rankled me and I've said so.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

I have to concur - StudioCanal had them postpone the release so it could have the new 4K master, but then my guess is someone grabbed the wrong digital file when sending it to Kino. If this turns out to be the case I would hope Kino can do a recall and get the proper version they were told to postpone the May 2019 release for.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
These are from the UK disc. It's superb.
vlcsnap-2019-08-27-16h32m42s100.png
vlcsnap-2019-08-27-16h34m11s762.png
vlcsnap-2019-08-27-16h35m03s022.png
vlcsnap-2019-08-27-16h35m21s140.png
vlcsnap-2019-08-27-16h32m42s100.png

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Could you provide a link to the new UK disc - want to purchase - then I'll get the Kino and we'll have an answer once and for all - happy to take this one for the team, because Mr. Kino's remark about not being interested in Flower Drum Song has rankled me, oh, yes, it has rankled me and I've said so.

Of course, here is exactly what you want:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RCLSQFX

The link provided in the below quote is a concurrently-released "Collector's Edition", which contains nothing more than a DVD copy of the film, a booklet, some art cards and a poster for the new 4K remaster, and currently costs about twice as much money as the single-disc Blu-ray:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

The link provided in the below quote is a concurrently-released "Collector's Edition", which contains nothing more than a DVD copy of the film, a booklet, some art cards and a poster for the new 4K remaster, and currently costs about twice as much money as the single-disc Blu-ray:

Cancelled the other one and ordered this one - hopefully that's the correct one.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I was perusing these pages yesterday, and had not seen the base version. I did, however, make note of the Lavender Hill offering, lower in the page, noted as "digitally restored."

Might anyone be able to explain what, precisely, that means?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Back around 2002 (ish), I did a transfer of KIND HEARTS & CORONETS, only SD onto DigiBeta, on an old Rank Cintel. It was from a fine grain pos. that the BFI had, & it had been misprinted or misprocessed as it was really dark, it looked like black leader, but winding up the wick gave a really nice picture (I think it had been struck from the originals). The only trouble was that a shot would start off okay, but then the camera would pan to a lighter part of the room & everything would clip-out, so I had to put a lot of dynamic light changes in. I don't think that transfer was ever used, a shame as I thought it looked really nice in the end. I don't know how a scan would work using that FGP. No help, but I thought I'd throw it in.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

I didn't notice the cheaper one, as it's in very tiny print. I'm glad someone is more awake than I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks