What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Texas Chainsaw Massacre -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well, I got the new Blu-ray and watched the film for the first time in thirty-nine years. Just to get the easy part out of the way - I still find it a vile film, in subject matter. Sorry. I know horror aficionados love it dearly but vile it remains - for me.

Of course, the obvious thing is that watching it forty years ago is not the same as watching it today - at all. But today it's much easier to appreciate what the filmmakers achieved on their very low budget (which seems to change with whoever is talking on the featurettes). The direction, which I absolutely could or did not want to appreciate back then, is very well done. You must understand, however, the film was shot in 16mm and blown up to 35mm and those release prints looked very bad - that probably either added to the sleazy atmosphere, but it did no one any favors. That's the revelation of this Blu-ray, the photography looks really good here, despite the limitations they faced - because having gone back to the 16mm negative has yielded really good results.

I also have to say, as the film unfolded, I remembered every single minute of it - no surprises - amazing how vivid its been in my memory all these years. And I remember feeling even back then that the film veered into very strange comedy territory with the dinner scene and the "arm"chair did make me giggle, just as it did almost forty years ago. So, not a film I need to really see again, but I'm glad I watched it, which is solely due to this thread and the two or three reasonable people who suggested I do so.

BUT - if you really want to talk VILE - watch the Seven Stories of the Saw new featurette - THERE is a director out of control and thinking his little featurette is somehow a "FILM" - you know what, talking heads are talking heads and no amount of sauce on it is going to change the fact. This guy changes aspect ratios, goes from black-and-white to color for no reason, blows up the image, adds fake grain - buddy, it's not about YOU, you big wazoo. It's a new nadir in bonus feature "filmmaking". My favorite was when one of the interviewees (actually it happens twice) says, "The phone rang." The "director" then inserts the sound of a phone ringing and puts a phone filter on the interviewees voice. BRILLIANT! NOT! :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Bruce - glad you took the time out to watch the film again with an open mind (and were receptive to some of its artistry in execution) even if you still didn't find it a pleasant experience.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
haineshisway said:
BUT - if you really want to talk VILE - watch the Seven Stories of the Saw new featurette - THERE is a director out of control and thinking his little featurette is somehow a "FILM" - you know what, talking heads are talking heads and no amount of sauce on it is going to change the fact. This guy changes aspect ratios, goes from black-and-white to color for no reason, blows up the image, adds fake grain - buddy, it's not about YOU, you big wazoo. It's a new nadir in bonus feature "filmmaking". My favorite was when one of the interviewees (actually it happens twice) says, "The phone rang." The "director" then inserts the sound of a phone ringing and puts a phone filter on the interviewees voice. BRILLIANT! NOT! :)
Reminds me of the "Sinister Saga of Making The Stunt Man" documentary.The director indulges in the same sort of pretentious stylistic bullshit that very quickly turns irritating to watch. He also appears to have saved every single newspaper clipping from every positive review his film ever received, no matter how dubious the source, and devotes a considerable amount of time to reading them. "Larry King called it the greatest movie he saw that week!"

I like The Stunt Man. I cannot stand the documentary about making The Stunt Man.

P

Patrick Donahue

On Netflix there is a documentary series produced by CNN and Ridley Scott called Crimes of the Century where, when they interview people, practically every other sentence they speak is put through a filter for no reason at all. Drives me nuts.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm one of the apparently rare ones who never had an interest in the film back in the day...which really doesn't make much sense, because I was into pretty much everything in film that promised to provide any thrills at all, and God knows I spent enough evenings at the Nuart and other revival houses to have caught it at some point. And yet, it never happened. So I rather expect to find some appreciation for this in much the same way, when I get around to acquiring and watching the Blu-ray. Actually, I've had the 2-disc DVD set for a long time, but never got around to even watching that. Incredible, no? But I will get to this, I promise. :)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And let me join in giving a big shout out to any and all objections to the abominable and pretentious featurette style and mannerisms described here.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
haineshisway said:
Well, I got the new Blu-ray and watched the film for the first time in thirty-nine years. Just to get the easy part out of the way - I still find it a vile film, in subject matter. Sorry. I know horror aficionados love it dearly but vile it remains - for me.

Of course, the obvious thing is that watching it forty years ago is not the same as watching it today - at all. But today it's much easier to appreciate what the filmmakers achieved on their very low budget (which seems to change with whoever is talking on the featurettes). The direction, which I absolutely could or did not want to appreciate back then, is very well done. You must understand, however, the film was shot in 16mm and blown up to 35mm and those release prints looked very bad - that probably either added to the sleazy atmosphere, but it did no one any favors. That's the revelation of this Blu-ray, the photography looks really good here, despite the limitations they faced - because having gone back to the 16mm negative has yielded really good results.

I also have to say, as the film unfolded, I remembered every single minute of it - no surprises - amazing how vivid its been in my memory all these years. And I remember feeling even back then that the film veered into very strange comedy territory with the dinner scene and the "arm"chair did make me giggle, just as it did almost forty years ago. So, not a film I need to really see again, but I'm glad I watched it, which is solely due to this thread and the two or three reasonable people who suggested I do so.

Does anybody ever get you mixed up with Archie Hahn or is it just me? You are both kind of funny improv guys who kind of look alike. I always liked Archie and thought he was kind of an underrated comic actor (like you).

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Bruce, I'm glad that you were open-minded enough to give "TCM" a second chance and found redeeming qualities even though your overall opinion hasn't changed significantly...at least this time, you were able to appreciate the artistic craft and efforts that went into the production and THAT, in and of itself, is important...

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
chas speed said:
Does anybody ever get you mixed up with Archie Hahn or is it just me? You are both kind of funny improv guys who kind of look alike. I always liked Archie and thought he was kind of an underrated comic actor (like you).
Archie and I did the original pilot of Tabitha together - I was Adam, the brother, and he was Tabitha's love interest! He's much shorter than I am :) He was also the second person we talked to about playing the lead in Nudie Musical (the first was Henry Winkler).

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
lukejosephchung said:
Bruce, I'm glad that you were open-minded enough to give "TCM" a second chance and found redeeming qualities even though your overall opinion hasn't changed significantly...at least this time, you were able to appreciate the artistic craft and efforts that went into the production and THAT, in and of itself, is important...
I actually didn't mind it at all. It's really not my kind of film, but Hooper did show some real talent - it's not like a Herschel Gordon Lewis film or any of those shock,shlock guys and this film is nothing like their films. But in the end, you don't know anything about anyone and it just becomes what it is - a nightmarish, crazy film about vile happenings. But for a low budget film, it's clear why it's stood the test of time.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
haineshisway said:
I actually didn't mind it at all. It's really not my kind of film, but Hooper did show some real talent - it's not like a Herschel Gordon Lewis film or any of those shock,shlock guys and this film is nothing like their films. But in the end, you don't know anything about anyone and it just becomes what it is - a nightmarish, crazy film about vile happenings. But for a low budget film, it's clear why it's stood the test of time.
And from this you can see why Steve Spielberg tapped Hooper to direct Poltergeist for him in 1982...gave him his big chance to play with the big boys using a real studio's money!!!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I always have felt that end dinner/ hammer scene just goes on way too long and could have been tightened up, at the same time I can see what they were trying to do by putting you in the victims place that I feel like you are going crazy so ending is more thrilling. What I love about this film is it truly is a hot gothic summer horror film. The filmmakers convey hot summer August days in rural America ao well. you feel the heat of the days and even at night. you want a shower badly! There are times when I wish there were more rural Texas footage in the movie and more characters at the start of the film to interact with such as at the cemetery. Even that sequene is odd in a good way.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
lukejosephchung said:
And from this you can see why Steve Spielberg tapped Hooper to direct Poltergeist for him in 1982...gave him his big chance to play with the big boys using a real studio's money!!!
Many of the cast say Spielberg directed it and used Hooper as a "ghost director" to get around the clause in his E.T. contract which meant he couldn't direct it, he certainly cast the actors, designed the storyboards and was on the set for the entire shoot, Poltergeist even feels like a Spielberg film more than a Tobe Hooper flick, i think he directed it.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:

I'm friends with Mike Felsher and his Red Shirt Pictures is one of the most prolific producers of featurettes on genre films out there (they do pretty much everything for Shout Factory, Synapse and Blue Underground). It's been a while since I watched his TCM featurette but most of his work is fantastic, and I appreciate that he puts more effort into the visual style of his docs than one usually sees on DVD/Blu-ray supplements.

Vincent

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Vincent_P said:
I'm friends with Mike Felsher and his Red Shirt Pictures is one of the most prolific producers of featurettes on genre films out there (they do pretty much everything for Shout Factory, Synapse and Blue Underground). It's been a while since I watched his TCM featurette but most of his work is fantastic, and I appreciate that he puts more effort into the visual style of his docs than one usually sees on DVD/Blu-ray supplements.

Vincent
I'm sure he's a nice guy, but it's a featurette - one doesn't want and/or need that to be about some guy who has nothing to do with the film in question, and who should just be presenting the stories without all that "style" that is so off-putting and completely unnecessary and silly. My opinion. But I like very few of the guys and gals who do this stuff - the ones I appreciate just present the information in a coherent way without commenting on it and making it about them.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
FoxyMulder said:
Many of the cast say Spielberg directed it and used Hooper as a "ghost director" to get around the clause in his E.T. contract which meant he couldn't direct it, he certainly cast the actors, designed the storyboards and was on the set for the entire shoot, Poltergeist even feels like a Spielberg film more than a Tobe Hooper flick, i think he directed it.
If you've ever seen the behind-the-scenes featurette, there is no question who is running that set and it isn't Mr. Hooper. I'm sure he had input and did stuff, but it's pretty much the companion piece to ET by Spielberg.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
I'm sure he's a nice guy, but it's a featurette - one doesn't want and/or need that to be about some guy who has nothing to do with the film in question, and who should just be presenting the stories without all that "style" that is so off-putting and completely unnecessary and silly. My opinion. But I like very few of the guys and gals who do this stuff - the ones I appreciate just present the information in a coherent way without commenting on it and making it about them.
He's more than just a nice guy, he's really good at what he does or he wouldn't keep getting so much work. And I fail to see how adding some stylistic flourishes means he's making it "about himself".

Vincent

redshirtpict

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Felsher
haineshisway said:
Hello,

This is "the big wazoo" you mentioned in your post about my featurette FLESH WOUNDS. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the piece, which is fine. To each their own. I made FLESH WOUNDS way back in 2006 when I just getting started in the business, and quite frankly I was still learning. I am still learning in fact. But back then I made a lot of choices I wouldn't necessarily make today (i.e. the grain, aspect ratio changes, phone ringing, etc.). I was trying new things and wanted to see what I could make work, and some of those items quite frankly are distracting. At the end though, I went into that project with a lot of love and appreciation for the original CHAIN SAW and I stand by the work, warts and all. Its an accurate reflection of who I was as a director and editor at that time, and while I can relate to your frustration with some of the aforementioned choices I made, I would have to respectfully disagree with your comments about the featurette being about "me" rather than the movie. I was endeavoring to do was try something different with my work that could stand side-by-side with David Gregory's excellent doc, THE SHOCKING TRUTH, and cover some different ground. If you feel I failed, then that's fine. Like I said, to each their own. But again, I stand by the decisions I made back then, and I still feel the piece honors the greatness and hard work that so many people put into THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE back four decades ago.

But that phone ringing thing...yeah I gotta say that one haunts me a little :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
redshirtpict said:
Hello,

This is "the big wazoo" you mentioned in your post about my featurette FLESH WOUNDS. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the piece, which is fine. To each their own. I made FLESH WOUNDS way back in 2006 when I just getting started in the business, and quite frankly I was still learning. I am still learning in fact. But back then I made a lot of choices I wouldn't necessarily make today (i.e. the grain, aspect ratio changes, phone ringing, etc.). I was trying new things and wanted to see what I could make work, and some of those items quite frankly are distracting. At the end though, I went into that project with a lot of love and appreciation for the original CHAIN SAW and I stand by the work, warts and all. Its an accurate reflection of who I was as a director and editor at that time, and while I can relate to your frustration with some of the aforementioned choices I made, I would have to respectfully disagree with your comments about the featurette being about "me" rather than the movie. I was endeavoring to do was try something different with my work that could stand side-by-side with David Gregory's excellent doc, THE SHOCKING TRUTH, and cover some different ground. If you feel I failed, then that's fine. Like I said, to each their own. But again, I stand by the decisions I made back then, and I still feel the piece honors the greatness and hard work that so many people put into THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE back four decades ago.

But that phone ringing thing...yeah I gotta say that one haunts me a little :)
Big Wazoo is a term of endearment :) It's just my opinion and I'm just of the opinion that behind the scenes pieces shouldn't be about stylistic flourishes and extraneous stuff and my reasons for that opinion are simple - I just want to focus on what the folks are saying, not on the flourishes, which split my focus. But others' mileage may vary, as you can tell by the various responses in this thread. And believe me, I understand about evolving as you go - one should never stop evolving. Best on all your projects.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Funnily enough, I just cracked open my new Complete Halloween set tonight and decided to pop in Halloween III, which I hadn't seen since its release, and thought was pretty rotten then. And, lo and behold, who should direct the making of featurette but Michael Felsher! I haven't seen the TCSM one yet, but this one tonight was very well done and exactly what I think these featurettes should be: quick-moving, entertaining and straightforward enough so that my focus is on the info being passed on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks