What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Mummy (2017) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The latest reincarnation of The Mummy (no pun intended) is long on effects, and short on story.

This beautiful 4k UHD release worked for me until about the 30 minute mark, when my ability to believe the screenplay ceased.

In any yarn of this type, suspension of disbelief is essential, and here it never came into play.

If something becomes so complex, that arcs stop making sense, go for simplicity, as they did in 1932.

And it worked. We believe that a mummy could return from the great (or lesser) beyond, and desire to carry his beloved back to his case. No problem.

What we have is a superb 4k release, with terrific use of HDR, and great Dolby Atmos.

Technically superb.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This film didn't work for me either. Beautiful disc aside, I'll pass on this one.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Universal are obviously after some superhero box-office action here, linking the various horrors to some "organisation" & having big stars & big budgets. I'm glad it hasn't worked, there's nothing wrong with remaking these films, I think it's a good idea, but stay true to the stories & themes. I thought The Wolfman (2010) was a good try, I really enjoyed it (& what a beautiful looking Blu-ray), but I understand it did disappointing business, mind you, so did this. I wonder if Universal are going ahead with all this Dark Universe stuff?

Last edited:

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I've read this is more like Stoker's JEWEL OF THE SEVEN STARS than a remake of the original MUMMY or even the 90's MUMMY film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also really enjoyed the remake of The Wolfman and hoped that was the direction these Dark Universe remakes would go (though I guess Universal claims Mummy is intended as the first film in the franchise, not Wolfman ... or Dracula Untold). But while there wasn't a huge difference domestically, the international audience just didn't seem to respond to Wolfman like they did to Mummy, which grossed $268M more worldwide.

The Wolfman (2010)
$62M domestic / $140M worldwide
$150M budget

The Mummy (2017)
$80M domestic / $408M worldwide
$125M budget

Last edited:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I also really enjoyed the remake of The Wolfman and hoped that was the direction these Dark Universe remakes would go (though I guess Universal claims Mummy is intended as the first film in the franchise, not Wolfman ... or Dracula Untold). But while there wasn't a huge difference domestically, the international audience just didn't seem to respond to Wolfman like they did to Mummy, which grossed $268M more worldwide.

The Wolfman (2010)
$62M domestic / $140M worldwide
$150M budget

The Mummy (2017)
$80M domestic / $408M worldwide
$125M budget
I bet 267 million of the 268 million came from Japan.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not so much Japan, but China may have made quite a difference. The Wolfman was not even released in China, but The Mummy made nearly $92m there.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I love the Brendan Fraser trilogy and watch them often. I meant to see Tom's effort but didn't get round to it. Hope I get the blu-ray for Christmas!

News item in the UK today about the studios' poor Summer. People will eventually tire of these incessant reboot/retreads etc.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I love the Brendan Fraser trilogy and watch them often. I meant to see Tom's effort but didn't get round to it. Hope I get the blu-ray for Christmas!

News item in the UK today about the studios' poor Summer. People will eventually tire of these incessant reboot/retreads etc.

I like the first Fraser a lot - fun reinvention of the franchise.

"Returns" is still entertaining but it feels a little more like "product" - it just lacks the same verve as the first, so while it's enjoyable, it leaves a bit of a sour aftertaste.

"Emperor" is just a clunker - few redeeming qualities, IMO!

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I've been trying to find a single good review of this film that might sway me into watching it. So far not a one

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's not a terrible movie, but it's wholly lackluster. It musters minor entertainment for a while and then you move on with your life...
You're being too kind Colin. I think it is absolutely terrible. That's the perfect word for it. :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's not a terrible movie, but it's wholly lackluster. It musters minor entertainment for a while and then you move on with your life...
That would be my take on it too. It's not like I have any interest in defending it but I don't think it's as bad as some people do.

More than anything, I'm hoping Bill Condon's take on Bride Of Frankenstein gives their new Universal monster franchise a jump start.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seriously tho I want to rewatch it to see if my opinion changes. Which it does frequently.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You're being too kind Colin. I think it is absolutely terrible. That's the perfect word for it. :D

Really? You didn't like it? I didn't realize that - you've been so shy about your opinion toward "Mummy"! :laugh:

That would be my take on it too. It's not like I have any interest in defending it but I don't think it's as bad as some people do.

Ha - 2 against 1, Tino - we win!!! :dance:

To be sure, I don't claim "Mummy" is a good movie - it's just not terrible. I think it's mediocre - watchable, acceptable entertainment and that's it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks