What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Ballad of Cable Hogue -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm a huge Peckinpah fan, and his 1970 The Ballad of Cable Hogue, fits the Peckinpah pantheon to a "T," albeit with a bit more humor than one might expect, especially when one takes into consideration his previous production, the ultra-violent The Wild Bunch.

Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is spot-on gorgeous.

Perfect grain, terrific resolution, color and shadow detail.

The world in which Jason Robard's Cable Hogue exists is similar to the dusty, dirty environs of Wild Bunch, and has also been photographed by Lucien Ballard (The Devil is a Woman, The Lodger, Ride the High Country).

A brilliant new Blu-ray of a film that should be in every serious collection.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Count me in as being very excited about this one. I am also a huge Peckinpah fan so I love being able to check another film off the list and I am thrilled that Kino is releasing Junior Bonner as well. I think many people just associate Peckinpah with his "Bloody Sam" reputation but this film and Junior Bonner show a different side of the man as a filmmaker and storyteller. I have the disc but have not yet had the chance to watch it. Great to know that I am in for a fabulous presentation.

Reactions: PMF

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My Peckinpah education was late in starting but it's in full force. I haven't yet seen Cable Hogue and was just about to acquire it on DVD. Perfectly timed news.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My Peckinpah education was late in starting but it's in full force. I haven't yet seen Cable Hogue and was just about to acquire it on DVD. Perfectly timed news.

All that's left on my Peckinpah Blu-ray wish list after this announcement and that of JUNIOR BONNER is PAT GARRETT AND BILL THE KID and a 4k re-issue of THE WILD BUNCH. .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks