What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Autopsy of Jane Doe -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Olwen Kelly doesn't say much during Andre Ovredal's The Autopsy of Jane Doe.

Because she plays the title subject whom we never really meet while alive.

More or less.

Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch play father and son coroners in the film, which on its surface delves into the mystery behind the death of the title character.

But the film is far more than that. It's 86 minutes of well-scripted horror/sci-fi that starts off with a mystery and ends in absolute terror.

This is a film that's well worth your time and effort.

The Scream Factory release of the IFC film is a gorgeous Blu-ray, with only a single shocking twist. Zero extras aside from ad materials, and I would have appreciated more information about the production, director and "star."

Audio presents a well-produced, nicely enveloping sound stage.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I've heard good word of mouth on this movie. I will try to rent the BLU for sure. the casting of Hirsch and Cox sounds like great choices. I know nothing much about the film but it seems like going into this with as little info as possible just makes it all the more enjoyable.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Have I been living in a cave with no internet? Why didn't I know about this film?

Oh well. "These things happen."

Count me in.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
While I found some of it effective (I purchased solely because of this thread), I found the final third (when the explanations come), really kind of silly and then it just kind of ends. Also, any movie that begins with a police photographer using a flash camera that sounds like WW III I'm not happy. That's not what they sound like, folks, but anything to get you on the edge of your seat - and every scare in this movie is exactly that - a loud noise or super loud music cue. I did like that the film's leading lady was not presented like a pre-pubescent child (if you get my meaning) like so many of today's adult actresses (and actors, I suppose). And Brian Cox is always fun to watch. Not terrible or anything, but just wish it had paid off better.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I enjoyed it primarily because of the two main (live) actors Cox and Hirsch do a fantastic job carrying the picture. It reminded me a bit of 10 Cloverfield Lane in that it features a small cast, primarily in one underground setting, and you really get to spend time with and invest in these characters. Plus I thought the mystery was set up well and so you do travel through the film wondering what is happening and why. Mainly I think it is always a good thing in horror or science fiction when you get good solid characters well portrayed by the actors. This really helps, in my opinion, to get me involved with the picture. I mean when the characters are just cardboard cutouts I just find I don't care much about their fate...because they seem like they are just there to be paper targets.

So, I am happy to invest my time and money in a film like this because it is thoughtful enough to present characters that are interesting and that I want to follow. It made the whole enterprise much more gratifying as a cinema experience. That's my opinion anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks