What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Singin' in the Rain -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Escapay /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray#post_3946671
Whenever I realize that, I simply remind myself, "Hey, you paid $65 for an OOP DVD of Supergirl. That's more embarrassing, no matter how much you love that film!"

LOL - We are all a victim of our desires.

I got the box set also, but it was not the umbrella that sold me. I am not sure what it was, but I could not pass it, yet I am one of the first to make fun of those Warner trinket sets.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Something to consider:
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Replacement-Blu-ray-DVBR12BR-Blue-Ray/dp/B000U0HRJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341883529&sr=8-1&keywords=blu+ray+cases
I also find it anoying, At 64.5 cents each, it's probably worth it. I ordered these and the single blue ray.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bobofbone said:
Something to consider:
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Replacement-Blu-ray-DVBR12BR-Blue-Ray/dp/B000U0HRJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341883529&sr=8-1&keywords=blu+ray+cases
I also find it anoying, At 64.5 cents each, it's probably worth it. I ordered these and the single blue ray.
they also make 2 disc and other versions... Easy to find in LA at Amoeba, Amazon may have variations. Hopefully without that damn childproof latch.
So far no announcement re digibook from retailers. And whoever got the box, tell us if the book is nice. You know how small that umbrella has to be in order to fit in that box...

RKR1970

Agent
Real Name
Richard Karl Ryan
WB dropped the original mono track for this disc and the only option is the 5.1 mix. Odd since the original mono mix was on the DVD.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
rich_d said:
So ..,. to be clear, it's not the umbrella per se that bothers you ... it's the color?
To be clear, I don't need a useless umbrella. Why not offer a repro set of the film's photo lobbies. THOSE would be something worthy of having/displaying. The studio issued a stunningly gorgeous set of photo lobbies for this film in addition to its standard lobby cards.
Per se, I'd be more inclined to buy the deluxe edition for the "other" inclusions the set already has if the "umbrella" had been made to "look" like something from the film. As it is, it strikes me as silly. And it certainly drove "up" the cost of the collector's set. If I'm going to pay more, I want to "want" what I'm paying for.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Well I can't wait for that damm unbrella, i will look great going to the NEW 15 screen muiti plex and IMAX in town, within walking distance!!! Opens this Nov. It's a new chain called Penn Cinemas. They have only one location so far in Penn. in the boonies. Wilmington De. really needs this,there is nothing to do here.

nedinme

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ned
Anyone interested, "Singin' In The Rain" is being released on July 12th in selected theaters..check here:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/beloved-singin-rain-celebrates-60th-180900705.html

nedinme

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ned
Here's another site with list of theaters that are showing "Singin' In The Rain" on Thursday, July 12:
http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/singinintherain.aspx

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I'm seeing this Thursday night at 7pm at the Century 9 multiplex in downtown San Francisco, which has 4k projection facilities...can't wait to see for myself on the big screen what RAH is so thrilled about before my umbrella box set arrives next Tuesday!!!

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
lukejosephchung said:
I'm seeing this Thursday night at 7pm at the Century 9 multiplex in downtown San Francisco, which has 4k projection facilities...
Be prepared to watch that 4K projector sit silent while the low-resolution pre-show projector is used to show the highly-compressed satellite-streamed feature.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/30#post_3947107
Be prepared to watch that 4K projector sit silent while the low-resolution pre-show projector is used to show the highly-compressed satellite-streamed feature.

Exactly! These special screenings are from my experience equal to that of going to a friends house that you find out just doesn't even have a full 1080P set up they only have 720 haha and it goes downhill from there Honestly people don't waste your money. I experienced Fathom's POLTERGEIST event years back and NEVER AGAIN!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/322127/a-few-words-about-singin-in-the-rain-in-blu-ray/30#post_3947107

Cinemark (Century Theatres) uses National Cinema Media for their pre-show and they are using the 4K projectors for the pre-show and Fathom events now. The pre-show projectors have been removed. But the highly-compressed satellite-streamed feature is always a concern of mine and keeps me far away from any Fathom Event.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I've attended Fathom screenings of both "Casablanca" and "Yellow Submarine" in 4k projection presentations in the past four months at the Century 9...believe me, having seen 4k at the Las Vegas CES Convention in January, I know what it's supposed to look like!!! Both times, I came away impressed by the quality of both picture and sound and didn't for a second feel cheated out of an optimal film experience, so I'm looking forward to enjoying "SITR" in full 4k resolution on Thursday.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
lukejosephchung said:
I've attended Fathom screenings of both "Casablanca" and "Yellow Submarine" in 4k projection presentations in the past four months at the Century 9...believe me, having seen 4k at the Las Vegas CES Convention in January, I know what it's supposed to look like!!! Both times, I came away impressed by the quality of both picture and sound and didn't for a second feel cheated out of an optimal film experience, so I'm looking forward to enjoying "SITR" in full 4k resolution on Thursday.
Do you have any assurance that the films you saw were actually delivered in 4K ? The number of current first-run feature films available from the studios in 4K is well under 5%, so the possibility that these two catalogue titles would be made available in 4K seems remote. I know MGM has produced a 4K Ben Hur, and Lawrence is also scheduled for a 4K release, but these were large-format films that would take advantage of the improved resolution.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I hope those who attend will weigh in here with their thoughts after they get home. I'd love to hear some reactions.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul_Warren said:
Looking forward to this even more now but why o why do WB UK not release until 1st October :(
Sometimes the tables are turned, USA seem to be the last in line to get Cleopatra.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I've been searching the web and can't see a listing anywhere for a new 2-disc DVD version of Singing in the Rain, as mention by Mr Harris. Is he referring to the previously available 2-disc set from 2002?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Not that going from ~$77.00 to ~$55.00 will change anyone's mind, but Costco (at least in my city) will have the boxed set for $54.99.
I still think I am getting the single disc, unless there is something I would be losing in terms of special features if I just keep disc two from the previous two-disc SE DVD; I will put them both in a two disc blu-ray case, and problem solved...until it rains. ;)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Nice to read this. My main concern with this film is that the color is correct. Singin' in the Rain is one of the greatest color films ever - I've owned absolutely stunning 16mm and 35mm dye transfer prints - the last DVD was so off it made me want to vomit on the ground, and yet the raves poured in. Cannot wait to see correct color, which I'm hoping against hope, this has.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks