What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
It looks like the studios are "getting" why people would buy these titles in UHD in the first place. Great to hear, thanks for the review !

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ah, it's Tuesday (again). Finally. A whole week has passed after this exciting news.
Guessing it's now safe to spend the gas money and get myself to Best Buy.:)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Gary Reber of WSR says:

"The 1.85:1 2160p HEVC/H.265 Ultra HD HDR10 picture, reviewed on a Sony Bravia Z9D 4K Ultra HD HDR display, was photographed on 35mm Kodak film stock using Aaton 35-III, Moviecam SL, Panavision Panaflex Platinum and Panavision Panastar cameras in the Academy Standard Flat format and sourced from a 2K (not 4K) master Digital Intermediate format. As the 2K Digital Intermediate has been upconverted to 2160p, there is no real gain in native resolution."

This is not the first time I've casually visited WSR reading his claim that titles are from 2K masters when everyone else on the net says they're from 4K. He then goes on to contradict himself:

"This impeccable rendering is even more impressively and complexly detailed in this 4K Ultra HD edition in terms of war-weathered facial features, including pores and hair, layered skin grime and sweat and blood, and object textures; especially visible on soldiers' helmets, the sand particles on the Normandy beach, and the war-torn stone façades of Ramelle depicting bullet holes, broken concrete, and debris."

Any thoughts on this?

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Gary Reber of WSR says:

"The 1.85:1 2160p HEVC/H.265 Ultra HD HDR10 picture, reviewed on a Sony Bravia Z9D 4K Ultra HD HDR display, was photographed on 35mm Kodak film stock using Aaton 35-III, Moviecam SL, Panavision Panaflex Platinum and Panavision Panastar cameras in the Academy Standard Flat format and sourced from a 2K (not 4K) master Digital Intermediate format. As the 2K Digital Intermediate has been upconverted to 2160p, there is no real gain in native resolution."

This is not the first time I've casually visited WSR reading his claim that titles are from 2K masters when everyone else on the net says they're from 4K. He then goes on to contradict himself:

"This impeccable rendering is even more impressively and complexly detailed in this 4K Ultra HD edition in terms of war-weathered facial features, including pores and hair, layered skin grime and sweat and blood, and object textures; especially visible on soldiers' helmets, the sand particles on the Normandy beach, and the war-torn stone façades of Ramelle depicting bullet holes, broken concrete, and debris."

Any thoughts on this?
Yeah. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. :D

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I once read his Journal publication in the early to mid 1990s as definitive. It's been many, many years since I've felt that way...probably mid-2000s. There's still the odd read of interest. But yes, the UHD reviews are questionable. He said the same of ET, that it was from a 2K scan. There's a review of The Doors's last concert on Blu-ray yet it was written like a 4K UHD title. It might be a case of cut-and paste going wrong with many of his reviews.

I only go to HTF and TDB for disc reviews.

Reactions: PMF

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Gary Reber of WSR says:

Any thoughts on this?
Strikes me as nonsensical. Saving Private Ryan predates digital intermediates by several years.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Gary Reber of WSR says:

Any thoughts on this?
It's corrected.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's corrected.

It may be corrected, but that may have occurred because of comments that it was in error, and at least partially, Mr. Reber’s comments are correct.

I believe the cut camera neg in question was a mix of production footage, with shots via the digital realm, in 2k.

Which means that a new 4k scan of the OCN, would be inclusive of 2k digital shots, ie 2k DI.

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Don't have the UHD yet, but watched my blu-ray today as I do every Memorial Day. And shed tears, as I do every time I see it.

Earn this.

We owe those who have served our nation, far more than most people can imagine.

I didn’t fully understand this, until I had discussion with a friend who had fought his way up the beach at Iwo Jima, and was there to see the raising of the actual (small) flag, before it was re-enacted for the press.

We owe them thanks for our freedom.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning I watched Gettysburg which was the 4.5 hr version of the film. Then this afternoon, I watched Saving Private Ryan on 4K/UHD disc. Just like the first time I viewed SPR in a movie theater, I was again emotionally spent after my afternoon viewing. It's a very difficult film for me to watch as I think of all those young men that died during that terrible war and the millions of innocent people that died because of it. A very sad chapter in the book on humanity as we had very little of humanity during those terrible years. Such a tragedy due to some evil men and the lack of humanity that consume them in their need for power and domination.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks