What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pacific Rim -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Pacific Rim brings back memories of a myriad of WWII Air Corps films, with a young man, having spent his youth as a barnstormer, and ready to be a pilot, is held by whomever...

There are quotes from Star Wars, King Henry V, as well as certain Japanese 1950s monster films, with guys in lizard suits, stomping on model cars.

No men in lizard suits here. It took more than half a century, but we now have this thing called digital.

I'm not only a huge del Toro fan, but also hold Pacific Rim in high esteem, as just plain old terrific entertainment.

Once again, Warner Bros has created a 4k UHD / HDR that can play nicely with projectors, without giving the viewer the feeling their watching the film through sunglasses.

Pacific Rim is a superb 4k confection, mit HDR, that isn't too heavily applied. It just looks terrific.

It's taken months for 4k to learn how to play nicely with players and projectors, but it appears that we may finally be at a point at which I can whole-heartedly recommend 4k.

Only downside here, is that one can't purchase 4k and 3D in the same package.

Love 4k?

Grab a 4k copy along with BD.

Love 3D?

Buy it again.

Something's amiss in distribution land.

For those who've not yet seen this 2013 production, go for it. It's just great fun. If a choice must be made, I'd probably lose the 3D, and go for the 4k. It's a very nice 2k up-rez.

As to audio. It's Dolby Atmos, and placement within the proscenium is terrific.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
No men in lizard suits here. It took more than half a century, but we now have this thing called digital.

IMG_4298.JPG

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
This would be one of my first UHD purchases.

I was holding my breath a bit when I saw this thread, hoping that Mr. Crawford wouldn't savage this film. I thought it was fantastic. A complete success at what it set out to do (which I think should be the measuring bar for almost any movie).

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Only downside here, is that one can't purchase 4k and 3D in the same package.

Love 4k?

Grab a 4k copy along with BD.

Love 3D?

Buy it again.

Something's amiss in distribution land.

I really dislike new releases that do this, but it is somewhat less annoying here since I already own the 3D version. Still it would be my preference that they bundle them together. I've bought a few 4K discs now preparing for my eventual move to UHD.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Pacific Rim brings back memories of a myriad of

For those who've not yet seen this 2013 production, go for it. It's just great fun. If a choice must be made, I'd probably lose the 3D, and go for the 4k. It's a very nice 2k up-rez.

As to audio. It's Dolby Atmos, and placement within the proscenium is terrific.

RAH

On this one, I have to disagree. I have both the 4k version and the 3D version. First of all, this is one of my favorite 3D blu-rays. The 3D is superb on this movie, with a great sense of depth in almost every shot. But you also get immersed into this story so much with the 3D you feel like you are part of the action. I watched the 4k version and just didn't feel the excitement I did in the 3D presentation.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My recommendation is: Love 3D? Than screw the 4K. I like 3D and I’m not to watch a 3D movie flat.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
There a used copy of the 3D version of this for $6 by me. I was holding out for the 4k though. I still haven't seen this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks