What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Fair Lady (Take Two) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just have to say wow. If you get a chance, tell him his recording of the Mozart concertos with Peter Maag has been my favorite ever since I got my first copy on LP back in the 60s. Also my admiration for Previn.

I sure will .. we're lunching with Barry and friends at the famous Flower Drum chinese restaurant this Wednesday. And Barry just posted on Facebook an old poster advertising a concert by the Barry Tuckwell Wind Quartet featuring Andre Previn on Piano......

And by the way ... we listened yesterday to the wonderful 'Duet' disc Andre made with Doris Day!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
And a quick addendum ... after your note I played today the Maag disc ... a Decca Ovation. Wonderful indeed. I asked Barry years ago which was his favourite recording of the Mozart concertos .... "whichever is paying the best royalties". he said. He's always very droll.
"

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
So at what point is a 65mm image captured in its entirety? I am sincerely curious. If a 4k scan captures literally every bit of image detail, what is the point of going higher? Or is 8k really the better choice to leave nothing behind?

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
So at what point is a 65mm image captured in its entirety? I am sincerely curious. If a 4k scan captures literally every bit of image detail, what is the point of going higher? Or is 8k really the better choice to leave nothing behind?

My understanding is that a 4K scan (or screen display) captures/displays all the detail to be found a 70mm release print. I imagine 8K would capture all the detail of the original 65mm negative? If I'm totally wrong, perhaps someone could post the correct information!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that a 4K scan (or screen display) captures/displays all the detail to be found a 70mm release print. I imagine 8K would capture all the detail of the original 65mm negative? If I'm totally wrong, perhaps someone could post the correct information!

8k is useful for scanning 65mm negatives, 4k is indeed good enough for scanning 70mm prints.
Not that scanning prints is the preferred way to go except for very special circumstances like The Alamo where the longer version is only available in the form of prints with one of them luckily being a 70mm print.

Last edited:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why MY FAIR LADY is not available to be streamed.
RAH would be able to answer this definitively, but I can only guess it has something to do with CBS Films/Viacom owning a film that was originally produced in tandem with Jack Warner. Paramount currently has the home video rights, but streaming rights might be subject to a different contract. Again, this is only a guess and I could be 100% incorrect. Maybe they're just waiting until this new 8K version is done. Honestly, as much as I love the film, I question the reasoning behind doing yet another "restoration." If it ends up making a substantial improvement (which I can't imagine it would), then fine. Otherwise, there are so many films out there that could use some love that it seems like a waste to use funds for what is likely just a marketing scheme, rather than a necessity. I suppose creating an 8K scan makes sense for future-proofing.

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
The 8k version is totally based upon our original scans, as well as color, which is captured and saved.

An interesting halo project, but as noted above, most relevant toward medical and other technical use.

Post Magazine (http://digital.copcomm.com/i/607566-november-2015/37?m4=) reported in 2015 that "color correction and dirt clean up was done in 4K Rec.709." So that same color and dirt clean up work can be transposed from 4K to the raw 8K scan? And did working in Rec.709 limit the ability to create a future HDR release?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Post Magazine (http://digital.copcomm.com/i/607566-november-2015/37?m4=) reported in 2015 that "color correction and dirt clean up was done in 4K Rec.709." So that same color and dirt clean up work can be transposed from 4K to the raw 8K scan? And did working in Rec.709 limit the ability to create a future HDR release?

HDR? HDR? We don‘t need no stinking HDR. With all of the element problems, we were thrilled to replicate the look and textures in SDR.

Extremely problematic elements, with 21 minutes derived from b/w.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks