What's new

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Well, I picked up a copy of 'Grease' 4K at Target today. It's currently on sale for $19.99 and also currently on Target's Cartwheel app for 15% off. After an additional 5% off for using RedCard the price was $16.14 plus tax. Score!

Mark

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I picked up a copy of 'Grease' 4K at Target today. It's currently on sale for $19.99 and also currently on Target's Cartwheel app for 15% off. After an additional 5% off for using RedCard the price was $16.14 plus tax. Score!

Wow!

Nice deal, Mark!

And a day early, to boot!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Mark

Super happy to see the deal in the WRU is legit, Mark. And, like Mike said, a day early! I'm in for that price, though I may need to wait til tomorrow night...aka actual release day.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Just tested out the 4K disc and the audio sounds great but I couldnt help but wonder why whenever there was movement it would make faces look waxy / smeary. I noticed it when the principal Eve Arden and Mary Hartman’s mom Dody Goodman were talking.

I know the difference between lense softness and this wasnt that affect. While the colors look bright and the image “clean” looking. I dont know It just doesnt seem right.

Paramount will probably make a lot of money from this release and the Grease collection steelbook.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No luck at my local target.
Woman wouldn’t look in the back.

No we don’t have them in the back, someone probably picked the two that are supposed to be here and put them somewhere else.

Okay.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Target's website shows the street date as March 12, which I guess explains why I could purchase it a day early.

My wife and I just finished watching the entire film. The audio is FANTASTIC. Most definitely a HUGE improvement over the previous standard Blu-ray release (and, I'm sure, ALL previous home video versions).

Among the various forums I've read complaints about lack of grain, waxy faces, etc. To my eyes, the concerns are overblown. This release looks excellent. Is it perfect? No. But it's EASILY the best it has ever looked on home video. Even though grain has been tamed a bit more than it probably should have been, the result is NOT a bunch of smoothed-over lifeless faces. Only here and there do faces lack some texture. The VAST majority of the time everything looks quite excellent. There are some soft scenes here and there but I'm pretty sure those are due to the original opticals. Color and saturation are outstanding. The color really pops.

We have a Sony 940E which now has Dolby Vision. But we don't have a Dolby Vision 4K Blu-ray player yet (later this year). So we watched the entire film in standard HDR. I felt the balance of bright and dark areas was very natural without calling attention to itself. But, in regular HDR, the 4K Blu-ray doesn't have much HDR "pop".

Thankfully, the digital code redeemed in iTunes as 4K and, after we watched the entire 4K Blu-ray, I switched over to the iTunes copy via my Apple TV 4K. That gave us the Dolby Vision presentation and we watched about 20 minutes worth of various scenes. The Dolby Vision presentation absolutely has more pop to it. After comparing the two, frankly, I think I actually prefer the standard HDR. The Dolby Vision HDR really called attention to itself by comparison. It seemed unnatural to a certain extent. Perhaps if I hadn't watched the standard HDR first I might feel differently?

As for the Danny's painted forehead glitch, yep, my eyes went right to it and it was absolutely noticeable as a flash of color in that area of the screen. Shame on Paramount! They should fix it and offer free replacements.

Even at $24.99 this title is well worth your money. If you love the film you are likely to love this release. Granted, it's not quite as good as it *could* have been but it is a FAR cry from being trash. If this release is a 9 the previous Blu-ray is a 1. Yes, it's that much better.

Mark

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As for the Danny's painted forehead glitch, yep, my eyes went right to it and it was absolutely noticeable as a flash of color in that area of the screen. Shame on Paramount! They should fix it and offer free replacements.
If one half-second color correction glitch is the only significant problem, I can live with it.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Maybe they won't do a disc swap as they did on Star Trek II, but perhaps the fix can be applied to the digital copy included with the disc.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Cool beans. I’ve been checking my iTunes copy of Grease every day and today it finally bumped up to 4K. It still amazes me that Apple gives away free 4K upgrades, without making you re-buy the title.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Mark
I went to the nearest Target store this morning hoping to nab this deal, but it wasn't to be. The store had no 4K discs on the shelf, the price was still listed as $24.99 in the empty spot where the discs should have been, and there was no cell coverage in the store, so the Target app wouldn't display the cartwheel discount. Three strikes and I was out -- and placed an order via Amazon in the store's parking lot (their price dropped to $19.99).

This is why I hate shopping in brick and mortar stores. I wasted time and gasoline, and came home with nothing. :(

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
According to what I was told, many (most? all?) Target stores put their product out on the shelves on Friday or Saturday. There were multiple reports in forums from people that found the 4K version in their Target over the weekend.

I let my fingers do the walking. I called my closest Target store on Sunday and they weren't able to find any copies in the store, despite the Target website showing they had stock. That store called other stores and didn't have any luck either. I picked a rather busy (but farther away) Target store yesterday morning and gave them a call too. Bingo, they had one copy left.

The deal is real, the product is/was definitely in Target stores. The problem is the product got put out ahead of street date and many (most?) copies got snatched up early.

Let your fingers do the walking.

Also, for those not in a hurry... prior to me actually finding a copy in a store, a supervisor at the very first Target store I called suggested I go ahead and order it from Target's website and, once it arrives, bring it to her store and she'd do a price adjustment for the Cartwheel discount. Cartwheel is for in-store only, the only way to get that 15% is by buying it in the store. She was willing to make an adjustment because the Cartwheel deal is an advertisement. An ad for product they didn't have.

Others' Target store supervisors may be willing to do the same thing. All ya gotta do is ask.

Mark

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't often buy discs from Target, but in the rare instances I do, I have used their website + store pickup to let them do the work, and I just arrive at Customer Service.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I checked the app last night and a fairly close store had it in stock. Swung by, grabbed it (there were two on the shelf) and walked out for $18.61 with tax. I won't get to watch for at least 3 weeks, but Grease is now sitting on the shelf waiting for me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Corrected - I meant Target. Was replying to the two posts above me.

Although I do have an Amazon store that opened up in a mall near me, so technically yes? :D

Real Name
Christopher Russo
I had preordered mine from Target last Wednesday and they only shipped it yesterday and not to mention delayed the order twice. I ordered another on Sunday from Walmart and it shipped yesterday plus it was cheaper than the Target one. So when the Target one arrives I’m just gonna return it.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks