What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gangs of New York -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I really don't think Scorsese cares that much about how the DVD is presented. Most directors don't care. We've seen poor releases time after time and you rarely hear about complaints from them.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
That's because most directors feel that as long as the original film elements are taken care of their film is being taken care of. Home video is not the original, and it frankly is a secondary concern when it comes to presentation of their craft.

That, and the aforementioned concern over current projects rather than past ones.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for your review, Mr. Harris. I must say, this is very disappointing. Now I have to cancel my preorder. :frowning:

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
I just got my review copy about a half hour ago. While it is an improvement over the SD, it is sadly an improvement in the very least. Looks like it took place in Edge Enhancement City, and not New York City.

Sigh. I guess I'll hold onto this copy until a better edition comes along (most likely from overseas) because I love the film and have missed having a copy in the library.

Disney, you really dropped the ball on this one.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
While Disney has rights to distribute the Miramax catalog, one wonders if they have 100% approval on the masters used for those releases. This just doesn't fit in with Disney's Blu-ray track record at all, but it DOES fit with Miramax's track record of DVD releases from when GONY came out in 2003.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
True, Miramax's DVD output in that period was nothing short of terrible. If I am not mistaken, this was around the time that the Weinstein Brothers and the Mouse House parted ways, and not on very nice terms.

Still, Buena Vista should have known better than to release Gangs on BD like this.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i guess i gonna keep my australian dvd then. it was regarded as the best presentation of the film on home video. hopefully sony will do the same with the blu-ray, if they still have the rights in australia.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Damn, what a shame. I can tell you that as a whole the HTF reviewers are VERY concerned about the removal of grain for HD releases and this is something we WILL NOT be quiet about. I sincerely hope this gets more noise generated and gets a recall.

Sam

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Damn. Thanks - as always - for the insight RAH.

Disney aren't the only ones who've dusted off old masters and DNR'ed them to hell for HD, but given how hideous the old GONY DVD is, them dropping the ball with the Blu-ray is inexcusable.

I was mesmerised when I saw this flick at the cinema, and no home video version I've yet seen has reproduced that experience because they look utterly awful. Someone, somewhere, has got to rectify this.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The "forcefields" are now far shaper and more highly resolved.

Blu-ray at its best.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Such a shame, truly. It is a beautifully lit and shot film and deserves much better.

:frowning:

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Shit.

Will this film never get a decent home video release? My primary use for the
SD-DVD edition has been as a perfect "reference" disc for explaining the evils of edge enhancement (as the above picture posted by Dave Mack demonstrates). I was looking forward to replacing it.

--Jefferson Morris

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Very disappointing. I was looking forward to adding this disc to my collection. I'm hoping that this and PATTON aren't harbingers of more bad catalog releases on HDM.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
How do they view these 2K and 4K scans ,since the tubes are only
720P and Lcd and Plasmas are only 1080p,So do they downcovert them
before they start working on them???

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

High resolution computer monitors can go up to 4k and in some cases beyond that. More often than not to view a full 4K image they are looking at an enlarged area anyway if they are doing work to clean up the image.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks