What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This particular release of Leone's 1965 For a Few Dollars More, is finally, a revelation.

I have no idea why it's taken this long to get it correct. Whether the hands, the budgets, or intimately, the post facilities and their hard and software.

I've not seen a quality representation of this film, since I saw it as a dye transfer print back in 1965.

The same problems seem to have affected the entire series.

Courtesy of Kino Lorber, we now have proper color, stability, black levels, grain and shadow detail.

And along with them, more extras than one might think would fit on a single disc.

While I'm not familiar with any of the foreign releases, domestically, this is the one to own. It beautifully mimics the look and textures of dye transfer prints derived from the Techniscope originals.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from previous Blu-ray - Yes!

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Wow, alright then, looks like I will be having it out with Lee Van Cleef yet again.

Cleef.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]a revelation.
[...]I have no idea why it's taken this long to get it correct.
[...]The same problems seem to have affected the entire series.
With this breakthrough, could their findings lead to further corrections towards the rest of the series?

Last edited:

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I had already decided not to buy this based upon the previous performance of Kino Lorber on their releases of the first and last parts of the Leone’s Dollar trilogy but given RAH’s stamp of approval and high praise indeed then I am left with no option for yet another visit, on a different disc, to Agua Caliente

Regards

Reactions: PMF

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Thank You Robert ! Can't wait till March 26 ! I'm Happy how the other 2 films look from Kino. All with poster art reversible covers too ! : )

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
I don't believe it! If this is indeed true it will have been truly a long time coming. Here's hoping it can finally be done right with the English mono properly synced. (Many editions have sync issues which range from messing up Manco's intro to throwing off the sync of the film entirely.) FAFDM has had a tough time on video, and nothing for me has come close to replicating what I saw on MGM's lone battered IB print they sent out for a Leone retrospective back in 2008. (The edit of which was the same odd mix of trimmed and uncut version that was identical to the old letterboxed Laserdisc)

As for prior editions the Italian Mondo was nice but soft and had different color in addition to being not English friendly. The US MGM disc was from their older negative scan but had too much DNR and wasn't very good looking. The German disc was stuck using that master but went back to an older variant with less DNR-however it incorporated all of the missing bits from other variants into the first seemingly uncut release ever on video.
RAH, can you tell if the cut snippets that the German Blu-ray finally restored are present in the new Kino release? Primarily aside from some tiny frame differences here and there it's mainly: Indio's laugh escaping from the prison is longer and better matches the transition to the wanted poster, Manco's approach to the cantina is a bit longer and the beating of the two bounty killers by the gang is much longer and doesn't have abrupt cut to Indio's dialogue while walking away.

The full beating scene looks like this:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am glad Kino Lorber finally got one film from this trilogy right. However, I think I will just stick with my Italian double feature BD release of the first two films unless KL will go back and correct at least the first one. I am tired of buying these over and over again.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Good to hear. Bought the German Double Feature w/ AFOD after the reviews for Kino's version of AFOD were less than stellar. The FAFDM included in the German set has a very over-sharpened/digital look to it.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks robert!

I love these films, but I feel like I should wait for UHd releases.

If these were UHd releases I would be buying now.

MDS

Agent
Real Name
Michael Shayne
I would love to see Duck You Sucker on Blu. It played uncut for over two years at a small cinema (Alexis Nihon 2) near my home in Montreal. I must have seen it five times during the run. Usually on a Sunday afternoon. I hated the FIstful of Dynamite cut.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks