What's new

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
My Dark Knight disc is defective, it won't even play. I was looking very forward to the opening of that. I only checked out a little bit of Interstellar, but the water planet scene - WOW, what a difference when you compare to the bluray. Entering the wormhole was awesome too. The HDR and extra detail makes a big difference. The farmhouse scene when he's talking to his daughter right before he leaves didn't look much different to me. But when the IMAX footage starts the PQ jumps up noticibly compared to the bluray.

I watched all of Dunkirk and the detail throughout is gorgeous. The extra color, detail, and brightness of the opening beach scenes are a great example of what 4k has to offer over bluray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not in the market to upgrade anytime soon, but I already have a feeling that the Christopher Nolan films will be my first dedicated UHD purchases.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Lawrence/Dunkirk would be an interesting double bill, but to me the more apt Lean double feature with this would be In Which We Serve, which struck me as a clear inspiration for Nolan's film. It's also a sorely underrated Lean work.

Just don't have much to drink before you start it!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I hadn’t read anything about this UHD release but bought it and immediately redeemed the digital code. I was playing with the ATV 4K today and wanted to watch some of Dunkirk to test for the 4K streaming quality . The widescreen picture was gorgeous but the sound had to be cranked extremely high. So I thought let me try the disc and POW the image filled the entire screen and the sound kicked it! So now I cannot believe what I have thanks to you guys discussing here. What a demo film I am showing this weekend!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The widescreen picture was gorgeous but the sound had to be cranked extremely high. So I thought let me try the disc and POW the image filled the entire screen and the sound kicked it!

That's pretty standard for Nolan - the BD and UHD versions contain shifting aspect ratios to simulate the IMAX presentation (going back and forth between 1.78:1 and 2.20:1) while the DVD and digital versions are at a constant 2.20:1 ratio and represent the standard digital and standard 70mm presentation. Both options are valid, but I personally prefer the shifting aspect ratio presentation from the disc that better simulates how I saw the film in IMAX.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
That's pretty standard for Nolan - the BD and UHD versions contain shifting aspect ratios to simulate the IMAX presentation (going back and forth between 1.78:1 and 2.20:1) while the DVD and digital versions are at a constant 2.20:1 ratio and represent the standard digital and standard 70mm presentation. Both options are valid, but I personally prefer the shifting aspect ratio presentation from the disc that better simulates how I saw the film in IMAX.
But it seemed odd that the 4K digital version didn’t have the same ratio as the 4K disc. So this is a different 4K transfer I gather?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
But it seemed odd that the 4K digital version didn’t have the same ratio as the 4K disc. So this is a different 4K transfer I gather?
This would be a harvest of the 65mm 2.20:1 5-perf neg and an extraction of the 1.44:1 15-perf IMAX neg, so the material harvested from 5-perf would be identical, while the 15-perf stuff would be cropped to fit the 2.20:1 AR. Similarly, the 4K UHD version is not a complete extraction of the IMAX 1.44:1 negative; it's cropped to 1.78:1.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

This would be a harvest of the 65mm 2.20:1 5-perf neg and an extraction of the 1.44:1 15-perf IMAX neg, so the material harvested from 5-perf would be identical, while the 15-perf stuff would be cropped to fit the 2.20:1 AR. Similarly, the 4K UHD version is not a complete extraction of the IMAX 1.44:1 negative; it's cropped to 1.78:1.

My understanding, and this could be incorrect, is that they're actually from different sources, as both versions of the film were finished photochemically and then scanned to create the digital assets used in theaters. Theatrically, the standard (2.20:1) DCP came from a color-timed 70mm IP, while the IMAX DCP (for digital IMAX locations) came from a 15/70 color-timed IP. I would assume that the home video and streaming releases were based on those two sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks