What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Digital Projection in the wild (1 Viewer)

Adm56

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I was at a new Cinemark theater today (less than two years old....probably close to 18 months) and noticed an odd defect during a showing of the Avengers. Didn't think to glance at what type of projector was in use, but has anyone seen anything like this?
A black object shown in an otherwise bright scene would glow purple or blue. (If you are familiar with the film a centered shot of Nick Fury on the bridge of their carrier made it most obvious) Reminded me of the 'purple blacks' or blue blob I saw on my first two SXRD displays before moving on. Always at the center of the screen. Relatively small area that was 'round-ish'. Not visible at all in darker scenes.

PCineArchitect

Auditioning
Real Name
john bishop
That sounds like a 'dust bunny', a small particle that lands on the imager. It's fuzzy looking because it's out of focus relative to the pixels. Its on only one color so the look of the 'blob' will change depending on content. D-Cine DLPs of the last few years have had sealed engines to avoid this problem. Complain to the theater so they know they're not fooling anyone. That's a standard problem that a tech should address by cleaning the light engine.

PCineArchitect

Auditioning
Real Name
john bishop
That sounds like a 'dust bunny', a small particle that lands on the imager. It's fuzzy looking because it's out of focus relative to the pixels. Its on only one color so the look of the 'blob' will change depending on content. D-Cine DLPs of the last few years have had sealed engines to avoid this problem. Complain to the theater so they know they're not fooling anyone. That's a standard problem that a tech should address by cleaning the light engine.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
For those in the Las Vegas area, the following was in the Review Journal today:
"Theaters at the Suncoast and South Point are teaming with Warner Bros. for a series of movie screenings that will make your head spin.
Starting this week with the 1973 fright-fest "The Exorcist," a digitally restored classic from the studio's vault will be shown at 2 and 7 p.m. each Wednesday through July.
Orson Welles' triumph "Citizen Kane" (1941) can be seen June 13, Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke" (1967) on June 20 and John Wayne's epic Western "The Searchers" (1956) on June 27.
The movie musical retrospective "That's Entertainment" (1974) returns to theaters July 4, Stanley Kubrick's trippy "A Clockwork Orange" (1971) on July 11, Cary Grant in Alfred Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" (1959) on July 18, and the series wraps up with the Oscar-winning musical "Cabaret (1972)" on July 25.
Contact the movie theaters for more information."
link to RJ: http://www.lvrj.com/neon/movie-theaters-plan-to-screen-restored-classics-156640205.html
I assume that these are digital projection, but all I know is what is in the article above. I find it interesting that they are showing CABARET; assuming that it is digital projection, that must mean there is a source good enough for the big screen so hopefully that means a blu-ray may be in the near future? I plan to attend NORTH BY NORTHWEST and CABARET. Although I would like to attend more, work concerns make Wednesday a difficult night for me to go to the movies.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Steve Tannehill said:
Cinemark theaters are showing the same classics series.
So would that imply that this probably a Fathom Events project? That would make it either satellite or hard drive I guess.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
KPmusmag said:
I assume that these are digital projection, but all I know is what is in the article above. I find it interesting that they are showing CABARET; assuming that it is digital projection, that must mean there is a source good enough for the big screen so hopefully that means a blu-ray may be in the near future? I plan to attend NORTH BY NORTHWEST and CABARET. Although I would like to attend more, work concerns make Wednesday a difficult night for me to go to the movies.
When TCM had their last film festival here, they premiered a new digital restoration of Cabaret, at which point, a BR release was mentioned as coming down the line. I think maybe this fall or next spring.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
This afternoon went with a friend to see Men in Black III in 2-D at RAVE Theatres in Las Vegas. Enjoyed the movie but so much screen door I couldn't believe it. I thought nothing of it during the ads of course, but then the previews started and it was still like that so I thought maybe when the feature starts - but, no. It was also rather dim. Since I was with a friend I didn't want to make a big deal or anything but I probably won't return to that venue. To make it worse it is in a very popular, trendy shopping area so it is busy. I wonder how many people have any clue that it could be better? There are other digital venues here that look terrific so I was really surprised.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
KPmusmag said:
This afternoon went with a friend to see Men in Black III in 2-D at RAVE Theatres in Las Vegas. Enjoyed the movie but so much screen door I couldn't believe it. I thought nothing of it during the ads of course, but then the previews started and it was still like that so I thought maybe when the feature starts - but, no. It was also rather dim. Since I was with a friend I didn't want to make a big deal or anything but I probably won't return to that venue. To make it worse it is in a very popular, trendy shopping area so it is busy. I wonder how many people have any clue that it could be better? There are other digital venues here that look terrific so I was really surprised.
this brings up the question: what brand of projectors are they using, and have they had a 3D feature there recently? do you have Yelp in Las Vegas? Maybe you can look up the venue and see if any other patrons have noticed...

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
They used a Christie projector, the logo popped up before the movie started. Good suggestion to check yelp, which I did. The good reviews seemed to be focused on the fact that they have White Castle burgers and adult beverages. The bad reviews complained about being crowded and having to wait 15 minutes for a new batch of hot dogs to be ready. Only one review that I saw said anything about the projection, which the reviewer said was decent. Apparently they have two 3-D auditoriums, although I did not see a film in 3-D so I can't speak to the quality there. But honestly, the last time I saw that much screen door was at work during a Powerpoint on the conference room projector.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
KPmusmag said:
They used a Christie projector, the logo popped up before the movie started. Good suggestion to check yelp, which I did. The good reviews seemed to be focused on the fact that they have White Castle burgers and adult beverages. The bad reviews complained about being crowded and having to wait 15 minutes for a new batch of hot dogs to be ready. Only one review that I saw said anything about the projection, which the reviewer said was decent. Apparently they have two 3-D auditoriums, although I did not see a film in 3-D so I can't speak to the quality there. But honestly, the last time I saw that much screen door was at work during a Powerpoint on the conference room projector.
Well that explains a lot, doesn't it? Shows how they could get away with what you saw. I wonder if the aud you were in had 3D just prior to this engagement. If it were Sony hardware we could likely assume they still had a 3D filter, 'cause we've learned they're hard to change. What if you posted a review (naming Christie) on Yelp? I think you have enough techno-knowledge that you'll make a very credibly convincing case. Then I'd give Christie the heads-up - after the review is up. If their ego is so big they put up a logo, then they got some 'splainin' to do, doncha think? Once they have a fire to put out, they have some extra incentive to straighten things out. Still have the ticket stubs? Then I'd contact Rave and rant.
Love to hear how it turns out. Good luck.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
THE SOUND OF MUSIC is being digitally projected at The Astor Theatre in Melboune, Australia. Their website indicates that it is being projected in 4k and Panavision. What can that mean? Do terms like Panavision apply to digital projection? I would assume that Fox has provided them with the 4k that was the basis of the blu-ray, which is 2.2/1. In fact, quite a few of the movies on the Astor's site are listed as Panavision, when I am not sure that is correct - for instance, THE ABYSS was filmed in Super 35 - can the use of Panavision lenses without squeeze still be considered "Panavision"? Listing digital projection as Panavsion is really head-scratching to me. :confused:
I also noticed they are showing OLIVER! in 2k - perhaps that means a blu-ray is in the pipeline, I hope.
http://www.astortheatre.net.au/

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This report was posted by HTF member Steve Christou in another thread today:

Screw ups also happen when they prepare special screenings for critics -

Black eye for IMAX in front of the media tonight. A source tells me that a botched IMAX screening of The Dark Knight Rises sent about 100 reporters and critics home mid-movie tonight. Warner Bros apologized to the pissed-off invitees and is holding an 8 AM re-screening for them just prior to the Saturday press junket with all the film’s stars. An IMAX rep explained this was the only IMAX print of the movie on the entire West Coast:
“The computer device that syncs the picture and sound broke about 1 hour into the screening. Junket reporters, local press, and members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association were at the IMAX at the AMC at Citywalk to see the film. A strict no-guest policy with wristbands were issued for entrance. The movie started promptly at 7 PM. But at about 8:15 PM, as a new reel began, the dialogue between Christian Bale and Michael Caine was clearly out of sync - with a full 5- to 10-second lip-flap after lines were spoken. After a few minutes the crowd shouted for a projectionist. The movie was stopped and the lights went up. A 40-year employee of IMAX said that this has never ever happened to him before. After 20 minutes the man came out again and said the sync computer had failed and could not be rebooted. A computer is now being taken out of IMAX headquarters in West Los Angeles and installed in the AMC Universal location overnight. Reporters were asked to return.

Deadline.com

That's quite an embarrassment.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Worth said:
Sure, but that would have been a film presentation, not digital.
But based on the article, it seems the sound was separate and required a computer to keep it in sync. I'm surprised there wasn't analog back-up. I guess there's no sound on the IMAX print at all anymore, it's all double-system?
Vincent

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Worth /t/320364/a-few-words-about-digital-projection-in-the-wild/90#post_3946565
Sure, but that would have been a film presentation, not digital.

My apologies. It reminded me so much of the bad digital experience I reported on earlier in the thread--right down to the "calls for a projectionist"--that I made a mistake in terms of the source.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
bryan4999 said:
THE SOUND OF MUSIC is being digitally projected at The Astor Theatre in Melboune, Australia. Their website indicates that it is being projected in 4k and Panavision. What can that mean? Do terms like Panavision apply to digital projection? I would assume that Fox has provided them with the 4k that was the basis of the blu-ray, which is 2.2/1. In fact, quite a few of the movies on the Astor's site are listed as Panavision, when I am not sure that is correct - for instance, THE ABYSS was filmed in Super 35 - can the use of Panavision lenses without squeeze still be considered "Panavision"? Listing digital projection as Panavsion is really head-scratching to me. :confused:
I also noticed they are showing OLIVER! in 2k - perhaps that means a blu-ray is in the pipeline, I hope.
http://www.astortheatre.net.au/
I wondered the same thing and emailed The Astor. This is the response:
Thank you for your insightful question. Yes you are correct, it is a case that our artwork guy treats all full screen ratios as Panavision, and I should have picked up this error, but my overfull workload allows certain things to slip by (I am a one man operation). The version of The Sound Of Music we are screening is a 4K digital version. This was produced by scanning from the 65mm masters at 8K resolution and scaling down to 4K for projection files. We are screening in full 4K resolution via our Barco 32B 4K projector. Results are sensational. The 70mm projection ratio was typically 2.2:1 (as opposed to Panavision/CinemaScope typically 2.35:1) and this Todd-AO ratio has been adhered to in the aspect ratio of the 4K SOM file: that is 2.2:1

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by KPmusmag /t/320364/a-few-words-about-digital-projection-in-the-wild/90#post_3946795
The version of The Sound Of Music we are screening is a 4K digital version. This was produced by scanning from the 65mm masters at 8K resolution and scaling down to 4K for projection files.

You scanned the masters at 8k?

What happened to the negative?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks