What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Better Place (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If you've been through film school you're aware that "guerilla" filmmaking is not an easy thing. When the cost of a permit makes a dent in your budget you know you're attempting to climb a flagpole that's been well lubricated with 10w30 by the world around you.

And yet an occasional film makes it through the process -- working with new or semi-professional actors, a young filmmaker will succeed in creating something of value.

I've been meaning to watch Vincent Pereira's A Better Life since I became aware of it on the festival circuit a decade ago, and have finally gotten the chance via the gorgeous Synapse DVD.

Shot on 16mm, for an apparent budget of around $100,000, A Better Place is one of those minor miracles that may well have come to pass through the interest and support of executive producers Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier.

The important thing is that the film was produced, and serves as an example of precisely what director, writer, editor Pereira can serve up when given the chance. And what he serves up is a very strong tale of teen isolation and interrelationships.

I've gotten to a point in my home video viewing when more than 90% of what I select is Blu-ray. I made a calculated exception for this tiny film that will hit you hard, and leave you thinking for days. I'm pleased that I did.

With the exception of one shot which appears to have been improperly loaded in the camera and a few dupes, the presentation, made from a low-con derived from the 16mm OCN is about as good as they get, as is the 5.1 audio.

For those who haven't recently ventured off the mega-budget film path, and don't know what one can do with a budget just into six figures, A Better Place will bring you back to the reality of filmmaking.

I'd love to see what Pereira can do if given the chance with trained actors and a real budget.

Recommended.

RAH

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to pretend that I'm an expert on independent film (real independent film- not movies produced by a multimillion dollar studio's boutique) but I've always thought that A Better Place is one of the best independent films that I've ever seen. Given the limits of what everyone had to work with, the movie is excellent.

It's nice seeing you dig back in the 'archives' for some older titles, RAH.

Real Name
Jeffrey Allen Rydell
Well, he must have had a hand in the editing, so - OH, you mean the review! Sorry!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Oh, and congrats on Mr. Harris' write-up, Vincent!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Very much. An extremely impressive debut. We need you back behind the camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks