What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 2001: a space odyssey -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/MRMRG2001HP?id=CO-408272913

32c2544968aa43d8b33ab2ffe528573dlg.jpg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The exhibit was great! Dan Richter gave a private talk to a small group of about 30 in the gallery before they opened up the exhibit to a larger preview group of several hundred. I didn’t get to see everything as closely as I would have liked (I’ll be happy to go back) but what I did see was great. Kubrick had a lot of the props and models destroyed to prevent MGM from reusing the stuff on cheap sci-fi movies and tv shows but they had the best of what survives, and some really well done reproductions. The original Star Child model is there and some of the costumes and loads of photos and correspondence. It’s a really great collection and well worth a couple hours of your time if you find yourself in the area.

879E7173-D1E7-44AA-93BB-7C2C200602DD.jpeg

B468BD42-81E8-4BE1-AD73-3931156168B7.jpeg

D3E345A3-5590-4EE2-B420-5DA8FC3D8637.jpeg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The exhibit was great! Dan Richter gave a private talk to a small group of about 30 in the gallery before they opened up the exhibit to a larger preview group of several hundred. I didn’t get to see everything as closely as I would have liked (I’ll be happy to go back) but what I did see was great. Kubrick had a lot of the props and models destroyed to prevent MGM from reusing the stuff on cheap sci-fi movies and tv shows but they had the best of what survives, and some really well done reproductions. The original Star Child model is there and some of the costumes and loads of photos and correspondence. It’s a really great collection and well worth a couple hours of your time if you find yourself in the area.

View attachment 67419

View attachment 67420

View attachment 67421
Is that the original Star Child in your photo? It sure looks odd seeing it that way.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
For anyone in the Toronto area, 2001 is showing at Cinesphere, which I'd currently rate as the best theatre in the city, on Jan 31-Feb 2. It looks like it will be the recent "unrestored" 70mm release.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the report Josh! That’s great you got to see that and have your photo taken with the stars! I wish that exhibit would come out to San Francisco or San Jose!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
There are so many threads on this movie does anybody know about the edition put out in 2021 that has a red sticker on the back? Supposedly there was some fade out problem that was rectified with the edition put out this year? I got my copy the end of 2020. It was pretty cheap and maybe they had to get rid of stock they knew was going to be discontinued? I haven't opened it but there is no red sticker on the back. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I always thought that when Dave was able to re-enter the ship that HAL would have hijacked the life support functions aboard the ship and killed him anyway before he was deactivated. The "stargate" sequence simply being Dave losing oxygen, dying, and hallucinating. I don't know I didn't read the book, but the film never had that profound meaning to me. And I hated Stanley Kubrick's explanation of the end more than anything:

so I'm glad that wasn't a definite.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I believe they corrected the 4K this year with this new release. Has anybody made a comparison?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are so many threads on this movie does anybody know about the edition put out in 2021 that has a red sticker on the back? Supposedly there was some fade out problem that was rectified with the edition put out this year? I got my copy the end of 2020. It was pretty cheap and maybe they had to get rid of stock they knew was going to be discontinued? I haven't opened it but there is no red sticker on the back. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A lot depends on which country release you need info. The Red UPC was a US issues only as far as I remember.

The original Oct 2018 (not 2021) had a small error right at the transition when Dr Floyd was talking to the Russian scientists on the space station. Instead of a fade out and transition to the next on the transport, there was a few frames of footage seen that would have been hidden by the fade and then a hard cut. This was discovered pre-release and the US Oct item was supposedly recalled but some items got out and some were already shipped. The redid that scene, reprinted the disc and rereleased it in Dec 2018. It not only had a red UPC, but a separate UPC number, but I don;t think it was a sticker.

The Canadian 4K and many other non US releases went out with the original disc in Oct and sold until that pressing was gone. I'm pretty sure if the country had a second pressing or subsequent release (UK had a rerelease in 2021) it always included the corrected disc.

Original US

Re-Release -- click BACK to see the UPC

Even the Dec BBY Steelbook had a Red UPC code

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks