What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 2001: a space odyssey -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
My only complaint with it is the elevated black level. I don't know if that's an issue when watching it in 4K, but at 1080p, both the UHD disc and the new blu are washed out.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My only complaint with it is the elevated black level. I don't know if that's an issue when watching it in 4K, but at 1080p, both the UHD disc and the new blu are washed out.

I believe this is what “the director” desired. I do not concur, and side with The Director, with whom I discussed the film’s black levels.

Blu-Ray, way off.

4k UHD, close, but...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I've found that the black level on the Dolby Vision encode is better than straight HDR in my setup. Others who are 4K equipped may want to compare the two as well.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I have known Jean-Pierre for a very long time and I have also helped him a little bit with some programming for film festivals over here in Europe. He knows a lot about film, especially 70mm films. Here is an upcoming festival where he was heavily involved in programming and procuring prints:

https://www.in70mm.com/news/2019/varnsdorf/index.htm
Always wanted to go to one these 70mm festivals, as I've been aware of this venue for many years.

Last edited:

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
This is such a great transfer I even like all the dupes!

I do feel as a very weak French speaker I believe a lot of M. Gutzeit's post was lost in the translation. In French "we" and "one" are frequently used in the wider sense to convey an independent view. He was not appropriating anybody's opinion but being, in fact inclusive and polite. I don't think his concern for the lack of semblance to original prints is actually justified but he knows his stuff, like it or not. I just wish the things he's saying about restoration work were taken on board by facilities like Bologna/ Il Cinema Ritrovato and Lab. Eclair in Paris whos work on color with LUTs at the scanning stage (!!) replacing high quality print references were taken into account. They continue to botch literally every color film the get their hands on.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
This is such a great transfer I even like all the dupes!

I I just wish the things he's saying about restoration work were taken on board by facilities like Bologna/ Il Cinema Ritrovato and Lab. Eclair in Paris whos work on color with LUTs at the scanning stage (!!) replacing high quality print references were taken into account. They continue to botch literally every color film the get their hands on.
AMEN!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Always wanted to go to one these 70mm festivals, as I've been aware of this venue for many years.

It is about a 2 1/2 hours drive from where I live - I consider myself very lucky to be able to get there so easy!
Last year they showed a vintage print of 2001 by the way but it had of course already faded significantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It is about a 2 1/2 hours drive from where I live - I consider myself very lucky to be able to get there so easy!
Last year they showed a vintage print of 2001 by the way but it had of course already faded significantly.
"2001" never fades; but, rather, becomes more luminous with every passing year.:cool:
P.S. Whomever booked "Ryan's Daughter" at this year's festival chose, IMHO, the wisest of all follow-up films to Kubrick's masterpiece.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
"2001" never fades; but, rather, becomes more luminous with every passing year.:cool:
P.S. Whomever booked "Ryan's Daughter" at this year's festival chose, IMHO, the wisest of all follow-up films to Kubrick's masterpiece.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Indeed 2001 is kind of an evergreen (and by that I do not mean the tint of the "unrestored" prints from last year)

As for Ryan's Daughter the print I saw was so detailed that it almost made 2001 look like a Blow-Up. One of the best looking large format productions ever!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Indeed 2001 is kind of an evergreen (and by that I do not mean the tint of the "unrestored" prints from last year)

As for Ryan's Daughter the print I saw was so detailed that it almost made 2001 look like a Blow-Up. One of the best looking large format productions ever!

Dear Freddie, at his best.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I recall a lecture at the London N.F.T when Freddie was questioned at length about Ryan in 70 and Zhivago in 35 and the quality differences between them.
He wouldn't be drawn on the subject and kept his thoughts to himself.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I recall a lecture at the London N.F.T when Freddie was questioned at length about Ryan in 70 and Zhivago in 35 and the quality differences between them.
He wouldn't be drawn on the subject and kept his thoughts to himself.

Smart man, I take it he did not want to get into trouble :)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
He did bring the packed house down when asked about the then trend for filming in 16 and super 16.
He though they were both fantastic formats- for home movies!

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Funny story.

When we were opening Law in NY, in 1989, my wife and I took Freddie, and his wife Joan, to dinner. I had my cousins in from Philly, and had them join us. Freddie had asked a bit about them, and among other things, I explained that my older cousin was a rather well known model aircraft builder, and designer, as a hobby.

We chatted through dinner. They knew that Freddie had shot Law, but really didn’t know the immensity of his history.

Relevant to the post above, at one point my younger cousin asked about 8 & 16, and if there was any sage advice. Freddie responded, “if you pan, pan slowly, and make sure that there’s a reason to pan. And don’t keep zooming in and out.”

Dinner ended. We go back to the hotel, as a group. A small crowd is waiting at the entrance, and my elder cousin gives a quizzical look.

We exit, and Freddie is surrounded by fans, asking him to sign photographs.

Cousin the Elder turns to me, and a bit confused, asks “who IS this guy?”

We finally make our way to the elevator, and Joan & Freddie are heading up.

The elevator doors begin to close, and Freddie’s hand stops them.

He looks at Cousin the Elder, smiles, and tells him...

“You know there’s a film that I shot that you might wish to discuss — The Battle of Britain. See you at breakfast...”

And the doors close.

I adored that man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks