What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ X-Men: The Last Stand -- in BD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was interested in seeing precisely how Fox's BD release of X-Men: The Last Stand would fare on a single layer Blu-Ray disc at a running time of 104 minutes, and the answer turned out to be - impeccably.

Played on the new Panasonic, the film bounced off the screen with color, densities, black levels and resolution intact. I noted no problems whatsoever in image.

With the audio set to lossless DTS-HD Master, but without the ability to properly either extract it from the disc, or play it, the audio still sounded full, rich and booming, even in whatever lossy state one receives as a down-rezzed standard.

The Last Stand is the first Fox BD disc that I've experienced, and I've come away extremely pleased.

What I'd really love to see is the hardware sector of the industry catch up with the discs and allow us to hear the "master" lossless tracks encoded for our listening pleasure, and then stop -- and permit the consumer base to enjoy matching software and hardware, before moving on to yet some other unnecessary level which will again set us out of sync.

With it's effects laden imagery, and heroic audio, the film neatly fits into the "rollercoaster" or "popcorn" category as a film, and isn't precisely what I generally view, but as a piece of software representative of a theatrical experience, it comes Very Highly Recommended.

Fox has done a beautiful job extracting the film, and bringing it to BD.

RAH

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Given how the 1.5mbps down-res sounds I can't even begin to imagine what the Master track will sound like. This is certainly a reference disc.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
I'm glad to hear that this title came out so well. It'll be one of the first titles I view when I get my player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks