What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ The Mask of Zorro — in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Cinema memories are a bit akin to muscle memory, especially as viewed through the aforementioned fog of time.

It was my memory, having not seen the film since the Blu-ray was released eleven years ago (it was released twenty-two years ago),
that it was a superb retelling of the zorro legend, and a gorgeous Blu-ray disc.

Seeing it again, now in 4k / HDR / Dolby Atmos added, doesn't make me question my original thoughts. If anything, the film has matured, like a fine wine, the performances never appearing age-worn.

Cinematography, direction (Martin Campbell), production design, screenplay, and incredible stunt work, I'm told performed by Yakima Canutt,
are better than ever.

The 4k scan is mesmerizing. Color, grain structure, black levels, stability, are all absoutely perfect.

Dolby Atmos is beautifully rendered to add yet another texture to this terrific adventure production.

For those who may be spending a bit more time at home than usual, Mask of Zorro is an experience worth your time,
presuming you can find a copy, as they've been in short supply.

There have been earlier Zorro productions. The stand-outs, for those who wish to re-visit the legend begin with Fred Niblo's 1920 The Mark of Zorro, with Douglas Fairbanks, and The Mark of Zorro (1940), directed by Rouben Mamoulian. The others can easily fall by the wayside.

All are based upon The Curse of Capistrano, a story by Johnston McCulley, originally published in 1919 in All-Story Weekly. As it's PD, it's probably downloadable, for those who care to read the source.

A magnificent new 4k, which is worth the price of admission many times over!

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray – Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks