What's new

A Conversation with Universal Studios Home Entertainment (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
What's sad is that if Universal goes at least neutral the format war could basically be over with. This is getting ridiculous and the longer HD-DVD (sorry guys) sticks around the more likely both will be small niches. For instance, if they released the King Kong Extended Cut on a BD-50 they could include 24 bit TrueHD (sans dial. norm.!!) easily.

The only reason DVD succeeded was that ALL studios got behind the one format (after about a year of that damned, dirty DIVX fiasco), firmly, and really hyped it, and made sure the kinks got worked out.

If you watch TV enough, there is barely a peep about THE FUTURE IS BLU-RAY, AND HERE'S WHY!!, or vice versa (ie HD-DVD). The marketing departments are letting us down.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Dan:

I don't think this is fair but I do know it's largely speculative; there are simply too many variables involved. But can we leave this contentious issue for the, for instance, 'war is over (if you want it)' thread and let this one remain largely about what titles Universal is or is not going to release please?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
If all of the studios went neutral it would give the consumers a chance to choose based on merit. As far as Universal going Neutral, well that is as likely as Fox or Disney doing the same.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will not be buying any Universal titles till ether they support Blu-ray or HD-DVD ends up winning the war! I honestly feel that Blu-ray supporters should do the same and send a message to Universal that we want there titles on Blu-ray. I would feel the same way if Fox was a lone hold out and all the other studios where on HD-DVD's side. I would be calling for Fox to be boycotted instead of Universal. But Universal is the only one not releasing titles on Blu-ray and they are the only studio prolonging this format war. I honesly hope that by the end of this year there is a sign that one format is going to win and that this will all be over soon!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Speculation. If you want to post an edict/manifesto re your not buying any more Universal titles (including SD?), fine. But please leave the supposition and argument out of it.

I seriously doubt that, were U to release on BD, all problems would be resolved.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
With all due respect Dave, the only way your boycott makes sense is to boycott ALL the exclusive studios. To single out Universal is kind of a double standard. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

No, but the resolution would arrive far sooner than the present situation allows for.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Given that Universal Studios has had some major shakeups and very few hits in a very long while... bleeding money badly, it seems to me the boys at Universal just don't know what to do. If they were thinking clearly they'd see it would be in everyone's best interest (including manufacturers sitting things out and wanting to at least make a little profit on their first and second generation products rather than racing with Toshiba to the bottom really fast) that they let the exclusivity contract with HD-DVD lapse and then switch sides. They'll make more money by re-releasing their HD-DVD titles on Blu-ray.

Also, by having ALL parties on the side of Blu-ray, the marketing can really ramp up, and there would be more call's for more pressing plants... more pressing plants means more BD50's can be utilized as some studios want and prices would drop. By the time Universal lets the contract expire, Blu-ray will have added their newest profile.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You mean your best interest? These people are businesses and making business decisions. Let's not forget this. If they feel they are making the best move sticking with HD DVD, then so be it. But to blindly say this is not there best interest is pretty insulting to those guys.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I think Universal is in pretty good shape with HD DVD. They've got exclusives like The Bourne Series which Supremacy has been a hot seller for the format from the beginning. Bourne Identity was announced for July prior to the theatrical release for the finale...The Bourne Ultimatum. :)

Add in Evan Almighty, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, and a VERY popular TV show called Heroes. Exclusive HD DVD set for late August. It will sell like Bonkers. :)

Battlestar Gallactica in September. I can go on...:D

It's a sinking ship allright. ;)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
We all have our own individual interests here, our own agendas we would like to see happen. Some of us are backing HD-DVD only and others are only backing Blu-ray. And some others are format nutral and backing both sides. But as audio/video buffs it is our duty and it should be our agenda to see HD sucseed! It would be bad IMHO if HD fails and not just bad if HD-DVD only fails or Blu-ray only fails. If HD in general fails and only survives as a broadcast medium. In the end as far as the studios are concerned its not about a superior product, its about the $$$$.

Upcoming HD-DVD Releases:
The Matrix Trilogy (Warner)
The Skeleton Key (Universal)
Dragonheart (Universal)
Born on the Fourth of July (Universal)
Bruce Almighty (Universal)
Liar, Liar (Universal)
American Me (Universal)
The Big Lebowski (Universal)
Flags of our Fathers (Paramount)
Letters from Iwo Jima (Warner)
The Bourne Identity (Universal)
Ghost (Paramount)
Scent of a Woman (Universal)
300 (Warner)

Upcoming Blu-ray Titles:
Apocalypto (Sony)
Flags of our Fathers (Paramount/Dreamworks)
Letters from Iwo Jima (Warner)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Buena Vista)
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Buena Vista)
Basic Instinct DC (Lionsgate)
A Few Good Men (Sony)
Hellboy (Sony)
Jerry Maguire (Sony)
The Messengers (Sony)
Ghost Rider (Sony)
Seven Years in Tibet (Sony)
The Patriot (Sony)
The Fifth Element (Remastered) (Sony)
An Officer and a Gentleman (Paramount)
Ghost (Paramount)
300 (Warner)

There are some strong titles on both sides but this war is not help sell HD players. And the division of studios does not not help a winner to emerge anytime soon. Fox and Disney are hold outs that are keeping Blu-ray going and Universal is the lone hold out on HD-DVD's side. I have no doubt that if there where no studio hold outs and only one HD format, that more HD players would be sold and more hardware manufacturers would be offering HD players right now! There are some really nice titles on the Universal HD-DVD side but I honestly can not afford to keep supporting two formats. For me its time to choose a looser and Blu-ray is not going to be it. I am choosing to make at least 90% of my HD purchases on Blu-ray. I will ocationally buy an HD-DVD title only when I really have to have it in HD and its not available in Blu-ray. I will not be buying any Universal titles until this format war is over, or unless Universal starts offering there titles on Blu-ray as well. Dam I guess that means no means no Back To The Future, Battlestar Galactica, Dragonheart or The Bourne Identity. At least for the rest of the year most likely.

If Fox was the only studio holding out on Blu-rays side and everyone else was supporting HD-DVD. I would be boycoting Fox right now and avoiding buying Blu-ray Fox titles if I felt HD-DVD should be the winner especially.

At this time I would say HD-DVD is looking like a ship that is going down slowly. While Blu-ray is not in the position to deliver a knock out they are looking stronger and stronger the longer this goes on. I have an HD-DVD player and I have been very happy with it but one of these formats needs to loose, I just hope they both do not kill each other off in the process.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave,
You're welcome to your opinion, however, I can't support your boycott because I find your logic flawed when it comes to supporting Fox, Disney and Sony, but not Universal. IMO, all of those studios are contributing to this format war equally.

Crawdaddy

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Please send me a .pdf of the term sheet between Universal and Toshiba, as you apparently have a copy of it in order to be making these kinds of statements.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Universal's conan the barbarian is going to be playing on HD.movies on june 1, 2007.

Jacob

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
that was the reason that I was pointing out that it was airing on HD.net movies.
so people could catch it if they wanted it.

Jacob

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Why say Universal is prolonging the war becuase theyre HD exclusive.

What about all the BR exclusive studios??

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Facts:
  • Both HD DVD and Blu-Ray are here.
  • Both have exclusive studio(s)
  • Neither sides content providers has shown any inclination of switching sides.
  • Hardware manufacturers are begining to support both sides. LG being the first, and Samsung soon to follow (according to Samsung news).
My opinions:
  • Neither side has a benefit over the other.
  • There is no war, only competition. In my estimation, this is good.
  • The hardware sold will hit a critical point soon that will make this dual HD format most likely a permament situation.
Now, to get back to the thread, with the new annoucements from Univesal, it looks like they will make there original projected goal for releases in 2007.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks