What's new

A Christmas Story sequal? (1 Viewer)

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
This was many years ago...

I remeber a Sunday mourning, I woke up and turned on either TBS or TNT, and there was this movie playing, which featured the same cast as A Christmas Story. Even the neighbor's with the 50 dogs. Can anybody find any more infomation of this film? I tried IMDB but couldn't find anything. I know I wasn't dreaming...

Dean

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
There was a sequel, but it didn't feature the same main cast - other than Jean Shepherd as the narrator. It was called IT RUNS IN THE FAMILY (or MY SUMMER STORY, depending on when and where you saw it). Charles Grodin and Mary Steenburgen played the parents (Darren McGavin & Melinda Dillon in ACS), Kieran Culkin played Ralphie (Peter Billingsly in ACS). It was made in 1994 and barely received a theatrical release (just a few markets) and it was on VHS. It was the same writer, director, and producer team, but the spirit of A Christmas Story was sorely lacking, IMO.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
There are a bunch of Jean Shepherd stories available on VHS (check out Amazon). I think they were broadcast on PBS. One had Matt Dillon as Ralphie and one had the guy from Stand By Me and Sliders as Ralphie. I remember them being ok, nowhere near the classic status of Christmas Story. The Jean Shepherd narration is very cool, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks