What's new

"A CHRISTMAS CAROL/SCROOGE" 1951 Alastair Sim on DVD (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

All of my responses in this thread have been in reference to this release of this title. And basically my position has been that though I'm firmly for OAR releases, I'm not getting my "knickers in a twist" over the fact that the DVD producers will be supplying altered versions as well. For me, as long as the original is there, is well-preserved, and represents the true emphasis of this release, I'm happy. So really, we're on the same side here. The b&w OAR is what this release is about. The others are just extras.

Look at the box art. There's no giant banner proclaiming "WIDESCREEN ANAMORPHIC". There's just a small mention of the fact that it DOES include "both black & white and color versions". (And "black & white" is properly listed first!).

I see this release as a win-win-win for everybody involved (except those widescreen colorized perverts!). :)

Harry

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I actually like colorized films. I am not saying that is the only version I will watch on this dvd. I just am facinted by the process and enjoy seeing the movie in a different light.

I usually do not watch many B&W movies because I just can't get into them. Instead of feeling drawn into the film, I am always aware that I am watching a movie.

This is just my opinion. I know I am in the minority.

Since I have a HD tv I will most likely watch the widescreen version of this movie most of the time. Which, I guess, means I am not allowed to hang out here anymore. :frowning:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am glad this finally is being released. I will wait for the reviews to see if this really is an improvement. The last release was also from a print found in a vault or so they hyped.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Woah! 3 versions ?!?!?!

I hope they don't cram them all on one disc. They couldn't right? There's not enough room, I think.
I just want a Black and White, OAR version to look as good as possible. Give it some breathing room on the disc so we get a decent bitrate!

:)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It looks lke it is on 2 dvd-9's. I don't know if all the movies are on one disc, or if they are spit.

Here is the link to the pre-order page on Amazon: Amazon Listing

The movies are 86 minutes each so it isn't all that bad even if they are on 1 disc. 2 of the versions are B&W which take up much less room.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
I haven't read through all of the posts, but I have the second VCI edition...it's black and white, and while it's not pristine quality, it's good enough for me.

Unless Criterion or someone actually does this one up to perfection, than my VCI copy will work for me.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Since the new VCI release also contains a George Cole commentary perhaps what we are getting is what we would have gotten from BBC/Warner if the rights were not held by VCI in the States. Could be a different commentary or that VCI just bought the commentary from the BBC.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
If they were going to include the 1935 version, they should've included the complete 78min. edition.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
yep, silly to have a short version.

And what this REALLY does is makes me want to see an HD version more than ever!

:)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe the 1935 version is in public domain. Does a longer version still exist ?
If so what condition is it in ? This may be a case of presenting the best version quality wise that was available to them. I don't need the wide screen
or colorized versions ether. Just the 1951 version with improved picture and with commentary is enough for me and would be my reason for purchasing this DVD.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
The Image disc includes the full 78 minute version of SCROOGE. It's been awhile since I've viewed the disc, but I believe it had been restored...but it certainly looks its age. Legend Films will release their own version: it looks to be 78 minutes and will include the original, newly restored B&W print and a newly colourized version. This will be released a week after the 1951 version.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks