"A CHRISTMAS CAROL/SCROOGE" 1951 Alastair Sim on DVD

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Amazing news!! It truly is Christmas in July. lol. I'm a little puzzled by the 16x9 enhancement as well, but as Mike said, if the original full frame black & white version is on there, then it's all good. I worry though because I've never seen any of the previous VCI releases here in Canada. I'm hoping this one makes its way here, otherwise I'll have to import as I did with the "Porky's" collection. Regardless, I'm truly ecstatic about this release and I seriously hope the transfer is stellar. If so, my Morningstar version will be my new beer coaster. lol

Mike Frezon

I'm sure there are people who are going to say they like it...but the MacNee introduction is pretty lame and adds nothing to the presentation...IMO.
And it certainly has nothing to do with the original presentation of the film itself. It was a device that was added during the videotape presentation of the films (in the 70s or 80s).

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I was just going to post a "hooray" for the new release, but then I read that it's to be released October 23rd...my birthday! Happiness and Joy to all! LOL

Dave Mack

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Any word on an HD release...?
If they remastered it in HD for this version...

Now THAT would be a treat!

Meanwhile, I hope the B+W transfer has some breathing room on the disc. If they put BOTH versions on one disc, bitrate might be kinda low.
Wonder what the "optional 16x9" means...
Do people really want a non-OAR version...?
Remember the old days when WS films would get the pan and scan treatment? Now it's reversed!

dana martin

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Looks to be such a nice upgrade, still i was king of hoping that all of the item that was originally going to be in the WB /BBC set were here, and the possible inclusion of Richard Williams animated version as well,

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Holiday favorite A Christmas Carol, starring Alastaire Sim as miserly Ebenezer Scrooge, arrives on October 23rd from VCI Entertainment in a new two-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition. Featuring a brand new high-def restored and remastered fullscreen transfer from the original 35mm negative, the disc also contains an optional fullscreen colorized and 16x9-enhanced B&W version for widescreen monitors.

Extras include an audio commentary by Marcus Hearn & George Cole, "Spirit of Christmas Past" (George Cole remembers Alastair Sim), "Richard Gordon Remembers George Minter & Renown Pictures" and "Charles Dickens: His Life & Times" featurettes, original British and U.S. trailers, Before & After restoration comparison, optional narrative track for the blind, photo & pressbook gallery, cast bios and the bonus 1935 movie "Scrooge" starring Seymour Hicks. Retail is $19.99.

For this version of the film, being licensed from Fox, VCI located the original negatives in an underground vault. The high definition master was then created for the first time from this original film material. Can't wait to see it!

John Hodson

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I'm assuming that section refers to the 1935 version? Or did Fox have the US rights to the '51 version too?

The Seymour Hicks films is also coming the same month apparently, in a stand alone release from colorization purveyors Legend.

Harry-N

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
This is truly exciting - with this title, the Louis Jordan COUNT DRACULA coming, THE FUGITIVE TV series making it to DVD finally, it's becoming a fabulous year.

I think the "optional" 16x9 enhancement is just as valid as the "colorized" enhancement, and as long as the original 1.33:1 film is there, it's great that everyone gets to choose whatever suits their needs. I can see me taking a look at the widescreen enhanced version just for fun. I've viewed the colorized one in the past and don't consider myself harmed in any way - nor was the film!

And all of the extras sound just fabulous. I'm so happy that this great film is finally getting the recognition it deserves. Let's hope that the restoration done is a good one.

Harry

Mike Frezon

I was really hoping this would never really get a foot-in-the-door. I know it's been done already (Kung Fu: Season 1 comes to mind). I just don't want it to become a popular idea.

Harry-N

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Thanks for the diagnosis, but really, I'm fine. I still prefer the regular old Academy ratio black & white, and am thrilled that they're improving this fine title. The other "odd" presentations are like curiosities - something to sample once in a while and move on back to the "real thing". The fact that they're offered as bonuses rather than being the sole thrust of the DVD package is appealing to me. I am being given a choice.

I hate hearing things like the KUNG FU abonimations where they just hacked off the top and/or bottom of the picture to come up with a "widescreen" format.

Doing it this way makes the practice seem more civilized. It's there if your interested, but doesn't detract from the main film at all.

Harry

Harry-N

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Fully agreed and adhered to. It doesn't mean I cannot also appreciate other ways of looking at something, as long as the intended way has been preserved and made available as well.

In this case we're getting three different versions. The standard, a widescreen version and a colorized version. I feel sorry for those who might want a widescreen colorized version!

The cost of the package is the same as if it were a single movie, so watch what you want and ignore the others. It's not like you're paying for something that you don't want.

Harry

Mike Frezon

The problem, Harry, comes in those instances when the powers-that-be don't want to supply multiple versions of a title and make a decision to only release an MAR'd or colorized version of a title.

By going ahead and creating the altered versions for releases such as this one, they are allowing themselves to think that they are correct (or that it's the right-thing-to-do) in any circumstance.

While I can understand your premise that the altered versions are novelties to peek at (like a train wreck), my response above was geared to answer Scott's question about why I should be against others getting the version they might want. The mission statement says it plainly.

But in your jest, you make your own point. Someone who would want just a colorized OR a WS version of an academy ratio film is just as wrong as someone who would want it BOTH colorized and WS.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I am truly excited about this. I can't wait to see the transfer! I for one will be sticking with the original full frame black and white version. The other two versions will go unwatched, at least by me. I've seen the colorized version on network television, and I really wasn't impressed. Sounds like a great release, with excellent extras. I just hope the transfer is as good as they make it sound.

RobertGr

Second Unit
In response to the question about the statment that VCI leased the film from Fox it is in regard to the 1951 version. VCI does a great catalog every so often called the "VCI Video Gazzette" and at one time they mentioned in a issue and in fact the same info appeared on their old site that VCI was the only company authorized to sell the 1951 version stateside and had a lot of years left on their rights on the title which through chain of events wound up with FOX owning the film. So FOX does indeed have the the film and VCI is the exclusive video licensee!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badritbneha