What's new

'80s widescreen TVs? (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member

I SO MISS Incredible Universe. If only I would've had a digicam back then I would've documented the place. The "Zombie Screen" that had a ton of screens set up and spanned to make one...the area to test out RC devices and such, the way I could listen to multiple CDs...the pizza parlor upstairs etc...I loved that place!

With Fry's, your right, it's like "uh...ya, lets go to Fry's".

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Was that the one in Arlington? I don't remember a pizza place at the Garland store, but maybe I just missed it.

That wiki description is right on. You'd enter to a darkened rotunda where anything could be going on--RC racing, a stage show, a product demonstration. From there, there were other departments branching off, including the music store, the video game store, and the TVs and electronics. The music store was bigger than a lot of standalone music stores. It's hard to believe how much time has passed since IU was around, but the game systems on display included the Jaguar, the Virtual Boy, the Sega 32x, and the aforementioned 3D0. The only CD I remember buying at the time was Queensryche's Promised Land (the day it was released).

The facility was completely remodeled when it became Fry's. Now, you can see the entire store when you walk in. The ghost of the rotunda remains if you look at the ceiling, but there are no divisional walls. In a way, I guess it's better if you're just wanting to go in and find something. But, it doesn't have anywhere near the personality of Incredible Universe.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
For a minute I thought I remembered the Kloss Novabeam, from the late 60's being widescreen, but that just can't be true. BTW, for those not familiar with the Novabeam it was a front projector complete with a curved 6.5 foot screen that cost $6,500. Henry Kloss was so far ahead of his time. He was the K in KLH, desiged some fine speakers, started Cambridge Sound Works. One of the founding fathers of the AV industry.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I seem to recall a Phillips crt widescreen in the 80's, but it may also have been in the early 90's - my recall abilities ain't what they used to be. The display was running a normal 4:3 program with three boxes fitted vertically to the right. I didn't see the point of this set then and it didn't sell very well.

mylan

Screenwriter
Close, Heat was made in 1995, although I do not remember the scene. I had a friend back during that time, maybe 1992, who had a widescreen Pioneer that he used primarily for laserdiscs. Everything else like broadcast tv was presented in 4x3. I thought at the time that it was a huge expense just for laserdiscs but of course now with HD and DVD, it makes much more sense.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The scene is when Neil goes to kill Van Sant. He is in his living room by the pool watching tv when the chair comes flying through the window.

mylan

Screenwriter
Ahh, I know the scene well, he is watching a hockey game. I'll have to get the movie back down, after all, it is one of my top ten favorites!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks