What's new

80s Comedians-Recommendations for videos/DVDs/albums by them? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I love the 80s, and I like stand-up comedy.

My question is:

Can anybody recommend to me some good videos/DVDs/albums with 80s comedians on them?

Anything goes, with the exceptions of George Carlin and Bill Hicks (I believe he did some 80s stuff). Whatever you have, I'm open to it.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I don't study the HBO Comedy schedule regularly...Maybe I should?

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Eddie Murphy - Raw. Came out right around his SNL days.

Robin Williams. Right around his Mork from Ork days.

Bill Cosby. Richard Pryor.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
not sure if it is pure 80's but he was around than, maybe a little Sam Kinison?!:)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Richard Pryor: Live on the Sunset Strip. Not a very good DVD, but a great record of Pryor's return after his freebasing "accident".

M.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I agree with Michael that LIVE ON THE SUNSET STRIP has its fine moments, but nothing comes close to Pryor's electric performance in RICHARD PRYOR LIVE IN CONCERT, also available on DVD. The image quality isn't great, but this could well be the most consistently riotous stand-up performance of all time (but it's raunchy, so pick your audience carefully). This film makes you want to cry about Pryor's subsequent bout with M.S. and the fact that he no longer has a venue for venting his rage and presenting us with his flawless impersonations. Incredible talent, too rarely fully utilized, and now it's to late... except for this film.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Did Howie Mandell have a video in the 80's? I remember an HBO special, I think.. but I don't know if there was a retail video available.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Bill Cosby: Himself is a very funny.

Eddie Murphy Delerious is IMO better than Raw.

Richard Pryor
Sam Kinison
Damon Wayans - Not sure what it's called but he is wearing all black and it was pretty freaking funny.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I've got to second that one. :D

Sample Steven Wright thoughts:

"For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier... I put them in the same room and let them fight it out. Then I filled my humidifier with wax, and now my room is all shiny."

"When I was a baby, I kept a diary. Recently, I was rereading it. It said, "Day 1 -- Still tired from the move. Day 2 -- Everybody talks to me like I'm an idiot."

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
gotta love steven wright!! I've forgotten about him..

what material of his would you recommend? I make it a rule not to buy comic CD's or videos, but might have to make an exception here.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Eddie Murphy's Delirious was off the charts. My friends and I still refer to it. "I got some Ice Cream" and "Hey boy, you look might fine in them jeans". I'd get it on DVD in a heartbeat. It was much better than Raw, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks