$700 Receiver-Follow-up Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisFR, Feb 23, 2004.

1. ChrisFR

ChrisFR Extra

Still trying to sort through all of the models that have been suggested in this price range and try to make a meaningful comparison between selected models (What makes this a bit more difficult is that there are a lot of models that are still being sold - even though there are new models being offered at the same time - Marantz being a case in point with the 300 series and 400 series available)

Also I am confused by the many compatibility features such asDolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, IIX, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS Neo:6 and DTS 96/24 etc. etc.

Apart from connectivity and audio quality issues - can anyone tell me what a good mid-range receiver should possess in terms of its ability to process the different formats - like those listed above and others.

I want to avoid purchasing a receiver only to find out it is unable to handle a current or emerging format.

Hope this somewhat disjointed question makes sense to at least a few of you - and thanks to all for the excellent guidance!

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Chris:

First, receivers of similar specification will provide similar, if not identical, performance. Ultimately, the "sound" is shaped primarily by your speakers, your room and your brain. So, I would use feature sets to discriminate receivers.

As far as the various decoding formats, these are described in detail elsewhere. Suffice it to say that at the $700 price point, virtually all AVRs offer Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital EX, dts/dts-ES, dts Neo:6, and Dolby PL II. dts 96/24, which you may or may not find in this range, requires software encoded to take advantage of this processing, and very little of it exists. Dolby PL IIx is a very new format, the latest iteration of Dolby Pro Logic, and is available on only the very latest AVRs.

My two-cents: virtually every AVR in your price range is going to have all the necessary processing, and I wouldn't exclude a piece because it lacked dts 96/24 and/or Dolby PL IIx. Remember (1) that the vast majority of DVD software is encoded for garden-variety Dolby Digital 5.1 and/or dts and (2) Dolby PL II is a vast enough improvement over standard Pro Logic for most folks. Finally, there are some other surround processing formats, such as harman's Logic7 and Denon's Widescreen 7.1, which achieve a similar effect to varying degrees of success; some folks prefer these to Dolby PL II.

Hope this helps.

3. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Dudes,

I agree with Angelo. As long as the receiver supports DTS, Dolby Digital EX, and Dolby Pro-logic II then you are good to go. I hate all the hype going around nowadays. Stick with quality of sound from quality components and never forget our good friend S T E R E O

Dudes,

Chester