What's new

61HX70 dvd player suggestion (1 Viewer)

Mike Sauchuk

Auditioning
Hi I have a Toshiba 61hx70 4:3 rptv and was wondering what
DVD player would be the best match for this unit. I know this unit will only squeeze 16:9 in 1081I. I have been thinking about a HTPC but would also like a stand alone DVD player. Also how much of a differance would i see using a (your suggested DVD player) vs a htpc outputting 540P. I know its 33% more data in 540p but how noticable would it be to my eyes.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Leo Vildosola

Auditioning
Hi Mike,
For your set you can either get an interlace DVD player that is capable of letterboxing with minimal artifacts, a progressive DVD player that will still need to perform good letterboxing, or as you already said a HTPC.
FYI, 540p will not only give the 33% more vertical resolution since your set will be forced into 16:9 mode, but more importantly it will give you the added horizontal resolution that is available with HDTV sources.
What difference will you see if a HTPC outputing at 540p? It will be really good. You not only get the added resolution, but also gain the lack of artifacts since there will be no letterboxing being performed. You will get a clean picture. You will also get great color saturation since the processing will be from RGB to YPrPb.
------------------
Leo Vildosola
HTCal - Home Theater Calibrations
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Mike Sauchuk

Auditioning
Thanks for your reply. I guess i have only 1 option an thats the HTPC route. I see you are from HTCal here in Montreal. Do you do ISF calibrations? If so about how much would it cost for my unit. I just has Toshiba techs here today. They basicly took apart my 61hx70. Removed the top half to get to the electronics below. They took the bottem back to the shop. My problem was the clock never functioned since i bough the set. I was never able to set time. Other from that the picture on Videotron cable is rather good....thanks

Leo Vildosola

Auditioning
Hi Mike,
I am not saying that HTPC is the only route. I am simply displaying the information as you requested and I am leaving it up to you to decide. You also have to consider how much 16:9 material you will view. I would personally go with a HTPC simply because I am a tweaker by nature and I don't mind spending time with a PC. But others may not want to do this.
As for the ISF calibration, you can always send me an e-mail and we can discuss this further.
I can't believe they had to take the guts to fix a clock problem.
------------------
Leo Vildosola
HTCal - Home Theater Calibrations
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Nathan_H

Second Unit
Not to revive a long lost thread but if Mike is still around...

Did you go the HTPC route with your Toshiba? Did it get you the 540p signals that you were looking for?

So far, I've not found such a person!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks