What's new

6.1 Rear Center Channel Speaker Suggestion (1 Viewer)

Michael Rusher

Auditioning
I am currently running the Acoustic Research HC6 5.1 setup. I purchased a Yamaha RX-V630 6.1 receiver a few days ago and now I'm looking for a rear center channel speaker. With all of the problems that AR has had I can't seem to find a single HC6 satellite for the rear center. Any suggestions as which speaker would be comparable to the AR's.

The AR sats specs are:
3 1/2" poly driver
1" silk dome tweeter
at 8 ohms
70 to 100 watts
80hz-20khz
88 to 90db

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Mike

PeterMoy

Auditioning
Hey Mike,

I have the exact same speaker setup that you do, but with a Denon 2803 receiver.

I had called AR back in September about a single speaker, but they were out of stock.

To hold me over in the meantime, I ended up buying a pair of cheap Sonys (SS-MB150H) from my local Circuit City for $50 just to take advantage of the few DTS 6.1 and DD EX soundtracks I own (Lord of the Rings, both Extended editions, Gladiator, T2: Extreme, SW:ATOC) .

To my surprise, these speakers seem to be doing the job for me. The 6.1 mixes don't seem to put the rear speaker into action too often. And when they do, it's only an occasional WHOOSH or sound effect. And DTS NEO:6 for music only sends a limited amount of noise to the rear channels.

Sorry for the long rant, but to sum it up, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a good match with the rear speakers for now. However, down the road then Dolby IIx becomes more available, it may be a different story.

-Peter

One more thing, I've seen articles where it is recommeded that a pair of rear speakers be used for better imaging. Not sure if the Yamaha supports 7.1 (the rear pair are mono), but the Denon and H&K's appear to have the extra speaker connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks