What's new

51H93 vs. 51H83 (1 Viewer)

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting real close to a purchase of a TV and I was set on getting a 51H83 but now I see that Onecall has the 51H93. It has a built in HD receiver and Firewire. I plan on getting HD TV when we move in our house, would the built in receiver be better? Other than that are the two TV's the same?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Jason,

I hope that someone who REALLY KNOWS will chime in, but I'm wary of buying any kind of built-in HD tuner. I just don't feel like the dust has settled yet and that it might be something you'll want (or need) to upgrade later. Considering the $500+ premium for the 51H93, plus the fact that it isn't available yet, I'd stick with the 51H83.

But as I say, I hope someone else will leap into the discussion.

Jan

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The built-in tuner is only good for over-the-air digital reception and will not work for HD over cable or satellite. If that's what you want, then it might be something to consider, but you can pick up a receiver like the Samsung SIR-T151 on ebay for $200 or so.

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
too bad the 83 series didn't include the Firewire since that is why I also want to buy a 93 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks