$5000 to spend on projector, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Seliger, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Dan Seliger

Dan Seliger Stunt Coordinator

I would like a 16:9 capable with support for 1080i and 720p, and I will have a screen. Want the brightest and clearest picture i can get! [​IMG]

Any suggestions?

2. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

NO contest.

NEC HT1000.

plenty of lumens for dedicated home theater and amazing 3000: Contrast.

Excellent scaler...

Oh.. it even accepts 1080p

3. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

It depends on what your preferences are. Have you had a chance to view a few DLP's? The Sanyo PLV-70HT is in your budget too.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I would suggest the Sanyo. The NEC is 4:3 native which I would not recomend.

I am looking at this price range as well. I would love the Runco at $10,000 but oh well.

C. Ryan

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The PLV70 is a contender especially if you are looking at a bright/large image.

7. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

The NEC HT1000 is getting rave reviews; if you haven't checked feedback on AVS forum I'd suggest looking there (in the "Digital Hi-End Projectors - $5000 USD MSRP and Up" forum). It can be had for around $4200-4300 plus $150 rebate. It's not 16:9 native but most people seem to think the slight loss of resolution is minor compared to the great color, black level and other picture aspects.

The Sanyo PLV-70 is a light cannon LCD, also highly thought of by most. Same price range as the NEC, depends on whether you like the strengths/weaknesses of DLP vs LCD.

Another option you might want to consider if you like DLP, though a little above your budget, is the Toshiba MT8 which has the HD2 16:9 DLP chip. Same unit as the Infocus 7200 that's getting raves, but a bit cheaper and maybe easier to find (once it comes out in a few weeks)... can probably find it for around $6k.

8. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

CRT is still the king of the HT room. The digital technologies are closing but aren't there yet. If you are critical of your viewing then you can get a pretty good setup for $5K if you do some shopping.