What's new

50 Best Movies of the 21st Century according to The Hollywood Reporter. (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There aren’t many on their list that I have seen. Interesting that they have Zodiac so high on their list- definitely agree with that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've only seen 18. I have to admit I don't watch many foreign language movies. There are 4-5 I just haven't gotten around to seeing yet.

However, I've never seen Bridesmaids. :cool:

@Sam Posten will be glad to know his favorite movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind came in the top 20. :P

I guess I need to finally watch Inside Llewyn Davis again.

The weird thing is, I saw two of them in the theater... back to back on the same day. Pan's Labyrinth and Children of Men.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
@Sam Posten will be glad to know his favorite movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind came in the top 20. :P

Your Argument Is Invalid GIFs | Tenor

Seriously tho, I love that we live in a world where we don’t agree on what constitutes artistic greatness. I fully support these guys in having very wrong opinions :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your Argument Is Invalid GIFs | Tenor

Seriously tho, I love that we live in a world where we don’t agree on what constitutes artistic greatness. I fully support these guys in having very wrong opinions :)
Still, a few of those are what makes movies what they are, to me anyway. I absolutely love Eternal Sunshine. It's brilliant. Two particular others are Pan's Labyrinth and Far From Heaven.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From the article "What are we missing?"

Apparently quite a bit.
I'm guessing this list was compiled and reviewed by 20 somethings who just discovered films 5 years ago.

47 - Bright Star (2009)
Doesn't deserve any place on this list. It is good film, but I think the word of mouth of a good period piece/romance somehow got mistaken for a great movie somewhere along the line. Costume design is wonderful, and direction by Jane Campion is fine.

44 - Things to Come (2016)
Why the hell is this on the list? May be the only drama without emotion I've ever seen. And it is terribly boring.
The least impressive dramatic film I have ever seen.

37 - Wendy and Lucy
Why? LOL. It was ok..maybe. Nothing stands out. Nothing great about it in the least.

I still think Zodiac is overrated too.
I could go on, and on, but I don't have the time.

So many more deserving films of the "Best" category. So many.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Monster
House of Sand and Fog
Inglorious Basterds
Cast Away
Lost in Translation
Million Dollar Baby
The New World
The Future
The Departed
No Country For Old Men
Ponyo
The Tree Of Life
Argo
Her
Nightcrawler
Mad Max: Fury Road
Phantom Thread
Stan & Ollie
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Licorice Pizza

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I got to number 49, laughed and almost stopped reading but I'm glad I kept going because it's a solid list that has a number of movies that deserve more of a spotlight. If we're keeping track, I've seen just over 30 of them.

There was some other recent list where Get Out was on it and I'll say again that that movie isn't even Jordan Peele's best movie so while I understand that's his biggest hit and the one that had the most pop culture impact, Us and Nope are vastly better movies and should be on there way before Get Out.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Here's what I've seen from the list...

Black Panther - Solid entry in the MCU, mostly due to Chadwick Boseman's presence in the film. Shame he is no longer with us.
Bridesmaids - Pretty fun film with the ladies getting to engage in the sort of hijinks usually reserved for male casts.
Pan's Labyrinth - Brilliant. Loved everything about it.
Children of Men - One of my favorite films from that year. Excellent speculative SF in a well realized world. Great film.
The Social Network - It is a David Fincher film, so the craftsmanship is present. Can't say I am fan of the subject of the film and the intervening years have done nothing to change that.
Y Tu Mama Tambien - I haven't seen this in years, so my memories are pretty vague, but I pretty much always enjoy Cuaron's filmography. Need to watch this again.
Parasite - Enjoyed the craft with which this was built, in particular the cinematography which was the best of that year for me.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Another great film that I haven't seen in a long, long time. Particularly engaged by the concept at the heart of the film.
Wall-E - Animation and SF. I'm there. Excellent film.
Burning - Very captivating film that creates a great atmosphere of mystery that stays with the viewer long after the film concludes. I sort of stumbled on to this film and enjoyed it immensely.
Boyhood - Conceptually very interesting. The Texas locations give it a bit of resonance (for me.) I have a good friend who thinks it is a masterpiece. I enjoy it, but not nearly as much as my friend.
In The Mood For Love - Cinematography is always one of the things that holds my attention in films and this film does not disappoint. Great, great drama with a wonderful tone and aesthetic. Really love this film.
Spirited Away - Just about perfect. I'm not sure that is my favorite Miyazaki film, but it is darn close.
Mulholland Drive - An enigma inside a mystery. It and Blue Velvet remain my two favorite Lynch films.
Zodiac - Terrific Fincher film. Another perfect or near perfect film. The use of Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy man is inspired.

In terms of films from the list I haven't seen, here are some of the titles that sort of hold my interest...

Grizzly Man - Herzog is enough of a reason.
Summer of Soul - Love the artists featured in the film, so yeah I need to watch this.
Portrait of a Lady on Fire - Heard great things about the cinematography and some of the shots from the trailer are lovely.
A Serious Man - Coen Bros.
Inside Llewyn Davis - Coen Bros AND Oscar Isaac. Can't believe I haven't seen this. (????)

I am a little surprised that No Country for Old Men did not make the list, but there were two Coen Bros. films already present, so I guess that makes sense.

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's what I've seen from the list...

Black Panther - Solid entry in the MCU, mostly due to Chadwick Boseman's presence in the film. Shame he is no longer with us.
Bridesmaids - Pretty fun film with the ladies getting to engage in the sort of hijinks usually reserved for male casts.
Pan's Labyrinth - Brilliant. Loved everything about it.
Children of Men - One of my favorite films from that year. Excellent speculative SF in a well realized world. Great film.
The Social Network - It is a David Fincher film, so the craftsmanship is present. Can't say I am fan of the subject of the film and the intervening years have done nothing to change that.
Y Tu Mama Tambien - I haven't seen this in years, so my memories are pretty vague, but I pretty much always enjoy Cuaron's filmography. Need to watch this again.
Parasite - Enjoyed the craft with which this was built, in particular the cinematography which was the best of that year for me.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Another great film that I haven't seen in a long, long time. Particularly engaged by the concept at the heart of the film.
Wall-E - Animation and SF. I'm there. Excellent film.
Burning - Very captivating film that creates a great atmosphere of mystery that stays with the viewer long after the film concludes. I sort of stumbled on to this film and enjoyed it immensely.
Boyhood - Conceptually very interesting. The Texas locations give it a bit of resonance (for me.) I have a good friend who thinks it is a masterpiece. I enjoy it, but not nearly as much as my friend.
In The Mood For Love - Cinematography is always one of the things that holds my attention in films and this film does not disappoint. Great, great drama with a wonderful tone and aesthetic. Really love this film.
Spirited Away - Just about perfect. I'm not sure that is my favorite Miyazaki film, but it is darn close.
Mulholland Drive - An enigma inside a mystery. It and Blue Velvet remain my two favorite Lynch films.
Zodiac - Terrific Fincher film. Another perfect or near perfect film. The use of Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy man is inspired.

In terms of films from the list I haven't seen, here are some of the titles that sort of hold my interest...

Grizzly Man - Herzog is enough of a reason.
Summer of Soul - Love the artists featured in the film, so yeah I need to watch this.
Portrait of a Lady on Fire - Heard great things about the cinematography and some of the shots from the trailer are lovely.
A Serious Man - Coen Bros.
Inside Llewyn Davis - Coen Bros AND Oscar Isaac. Can't believe I haven't seen this. (????)

I am a little surprised that No Country for Old Men did not make the list, but there were two Coen Bros. films already present, so I guess that makes sense.

- Walter.
You need to see Far From Heaven. In fact, I'm surprised you haven't.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
You need to see Far From Heaven. In fact, I'm surprised you haven't.

I am not sure why I haven't ever gotten around to that film, considering the cast and creative talent. Guess there is only so much time in the day. But yes, I should put it on the 'to view' list.

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For the record I’ve seen 15 and I believe this is one of the worst best of lists of all time

Of
All
Time
It's rather odd, which is why it amuses me. I just enjoy reading these things, almost as much as I enjoy seeing how upset people get about them. There are a few exceptional movies on the list, as well as several very good ones, and a bunch of real head scratchers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks